Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Pinkie finger not flexing properly

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
I have pain in the palm of my right hand where small bone is located below finger next to pinkie; pain and swelling in pinkie finger mainly - all worse in the morning. Additionally, upon extending my fingers out (after I made a fist) my pinkie sometimes does not immediately straighten; rather seems to 'pop' back into a straight position. I'm not sure if I injured it when I was moving boxes, etc. or if it has to do with computer mouse ... can you help? It's been about 4 wks ... was hoping it would get better on its own - seems to be less painful when I avoid using the computer mouse, avoid using it to lift something, and avoid using it in general ~ thanks again for any help!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
EmpressWhew,

It sounds like you may have inflammatory tenosynovitis, also called a trigger finger.

It is common for the patient to have a nodule at the base of the affected finger, in the palm. This can often to palpated and is frequently tender to the touch.

It is also common for the patient to complain of the affected finger being flexed (bent) upon rising in the morning. The patient will note that it is difficult and/or painful to extend (straighten) the finger and they may note a snap or pop when the finger is finally straightened.

The snap or pop is due to the nodule on the flexor tendon passing through the pulley. Sort of like a knot on a fishing line, passing through an eyelet on a fishing pole.

If the condition does not resolve on its own, you should probably see a hand surgeon. This condition can usually be treated with local steroid injection. Around 99% of patients can successfully be treated with one or a series of injections. The remaining 1% may have to have surgery to release the pulley. The patients that most commonly come to surgery usually also have diabetes or inflammatory disorders.


So, again, if this continues, you should probably see a hand surgeon. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?