Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Pineal Cyst

Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
I was just diagnosed with a Pineal cyst measuring 18mm x 8mm as an incidental find on an MRI w/o contrast. There were no other abnormal findings other than a slightly large fluid reservoir (something about the septum was mentioned in regards to this), but that it was still not large enough to be concerned about. The gland was certainly pressing to some degree on this fluid reservoir, but not to the point that the flow was being fully blocked. The cysts are fluid filled and present benign.
My symptoms going in were: constant headache since Nov 2008 (daily just varying in severity), occasional light-headedness, poor memory, constant fatigue, occasional and increasing in frequency migraines, and depression. I was diagnosed with General and Social Anxiety Disorder in 2003 and have been on several different meds the last of which has been Effexor XR 225mg since 05. Tried Lunesta for the fatigue but did not help me sleep better, just faster.
The neurologist has started me on Topamax building to 100mg after 4 weeks to hopefully stop the migraines from coming.
Is this really the best I can hope for in a treatment? Do I really have a lifetime of fatigue ahead of me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 3rd, 2009
Vitamin D
Your symptoms are similar to my daughter's: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, had frequent headaches, poor working memory,.. She has had tremendous relief by taking 10,000 IUs/day of Vitamin D3.

When her vitamin D levels were first measured they were an "8" ng/mL now she is around "92" ng/mL. Her quality of life is greatly improved.

If you're interested in the effects of vitamin D deficiency/sufficiency I like the Vitamin D Council (one word plus, .org) website.

Good Luck.

|

replied May 3rd, 2009
Thank you
Thank you for the reply. Curious as to whether she is having any of the sleep issues. I will ask the neurologist what my D levels were as I have had many lab panels done, and he did not note any vitamin deficiencies.

Again thank you!
|