Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

piece of skin discharged

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
hey, i've been on my period for 13 days now, im 17 and started about 3years ago, im also on the pill but i am not sexually active, i went to change my tampon yesterday and when i pulled it out a big piece of skin come out on the tampon it wasnt a clot, it was white/fleshy coulour with bits of blood on it and about 5cm long! Ive not been heavy i am at the start as usual but im fine and i only had back pain which lasted two days, im usually on for 4-8 days! Im really worried, what wrong? Should i see my doctor?
pheobe x
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper potato111
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
How long have you been on the pill? Has your period been heavy for 13 days?

I'm not sure what you could have been seeing on your tampon, but a heavy period for 13 days is reason enough to speak with a doctor.
|

replied June 15th, 2008
No its not been heavy i mean it was for the first two days not really heavy though i could still use regular tampons!
|

replied June 15th, 2008
oh and ive been on the pill since febuary!
|

replied May 30th, 2009
Skin during menstration
Same thing just happend to my 16 yr old daughter. A large piece of something came out on her tampon. Not boold, more like skin. I called the advice nurse and she was no help. She also had a cough a couple of weeks ago where she coughed up pieces of skin. Could this be related, does anyone know what this is?
|

replied December 16th, 2009
that same thing just happened to last night. i am worried my period was also a week late and its been on and off since yesterday not normal
|

replied January 1st, 2010
I know this is no help, but the same thing just happened to me a couple minutes ago and it is hard and flesh like. Im 15 so i have no idea what it could have been. I hope you get an answer soon because i would love to knw too.
|

replied January 7th, 2010
Well i am 19 and i have been on the nuva ring for about 4 months now and started my peirod about 3 days ago. The first two days were very light which is not how i usually am. But today has been a real heavy flow and i just went to take out my tampon and there was a fleshy looking thing on it. It was about 2 inches long and had a little bit of blood on it. I have no idea what it is and dont know if it is something to be concerned about so if anyone knows please reply.
|

replied January 7th, 2010
Well i am 19 and i have been on the nuva ring for about 4 months now and started my peirod about 3 days ago. The first two days were very light which is not how i usually am. But today has been a real heavy flow and i just went to take out my tampon and there was a fleshy looking thing on it. It was about 2 inches long and had a little bit of blood on it. I have no idea what it is and dont know if it is something to be concerned about so if anyone knows please reply.
|

replied March 19th, 2010
The same thing happened to me. I just talked to my Doctor. she told me that it was most likely just some of the lining of my uterus walls. When we have our periods we are shedding all that blood from our uterus and she said sometimes a piece of the skin lining the uterus walls shedds off as well. She said that if it is nt accompanied by severe pain or excess bleeding then it should be nothing to worry about. However, if you are still worried you should make an appointment with your doctor.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
piece of skin on my pad
I'm 31 and the same thing happened like a minute ago, it was on my pad, like 5 centimeters long!! in my 18 yrs of period that has never EVER happened before. I'm really freaked out... it's 11h45 pm here so it's too late to speak to my dr. but i am calling him first thing in the morning
|

replied July 17th, 2012
I had the same issue yesterday and called my gyno today--she is not worried about it, and said unless the piece of skin is accompanied by a super heavy flow or fever, it's not anything to be too concerned with.
|

replied October 31st, 2012
I'm 19 and i just had it a few hours ago but for the second time since I've had my period i asked mum, she's a nurse, she said it normal, she doesn't really explain things, but yea it seems to be normal, and she said she's had it too
|

replied November 29th, 2012
The same thing just happened to me, what do I do!? I'm freakin out!
|

replied November 30th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Your period is your uterus lining shedding, mixed in with the blood contained in the lining. Cramps are your uterus contracting to tear off that lining. These cramps and some chemicals in the lining will break it up and prevent it from clotting. This does not always happen 100% and sometimes you will see a full piece of the lining come out. This piece is whitish or greyish and it is not something to be worried about. You now know what the inside of your uterus looks like.

Sometimes you can even get very severe cramps when this happens.

If this happens every cycle, or your bleeding is abnormally heavy or does not stop, see your doctor.
|
Quick Reply