Medical Questions > Parenting > Teens Forum

Picky about body

Hi, im thirteen years old, love (feel like i have to) excercising, and constantly look at my bare stomach in the mirror. Not a day goes by that i don't think about how fat i feel or since its summer- maybe i should do some sit ups. I am about 5'0" and 100 pounds, i actualy have abs and my friends allways rant and rave over my muscular body. But i just pick at my body when i look in the mirror- if im not skinny who am i? I want to know if what im doing is unhealthy.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 8th, 2010
There is nothing wrong with wanting to be healthy and fit. There are numerous things that could explain why you feel so required to work out, whether it be feelings of inadequacy or just low self esteem. In saying that, it could be as harmless as wanting to have a hot body. Hopefully in your case its the 3rd option.

I remember when I was your age I was doing the exact same thing, many teens do it. There is nothing wrong with not having rock hard abs just be sure that you eat well and exercise regularly. As long as you're not vomiting or trying to lose weight in dangerous ways you'll be fine. As far as I see, if you can go one whole day without exercising, there is no addiction.

Good luck, and stay fit. (Btw, I'm 15 and just got back from the gym and I still look at myself in the mirror and wonder if I'm fat, although I know I'm not. Life goes on, you and I will both be fine Smile )
|

replied July 25th, 2010
Oh my Lord hun your 13! These thoughts are sooo normal. So many girls do that and at 13 your body is still not completely developed. Everyone has their own body type and no matter how hard you work out or how healthy you eat, the changes will be limited. A muscular body is something many people envy. Love your muscles. The things you pick apart about your body are not flaws.....there ASSETS!
|
Quick Reply