Medical Questions > Mens Health > Penis Forum

Physical exam erection

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
I turned 40 last year, and for the first time, received a complete physical exam from my doctor. Since I have always enjoyed good health, I rarely see him professionally, although I occasionally run into him at social gatherings, since we have mutual acquaintances, and my physical last year was the first time he had ever seen me naked. Here is the embarrassing part. When he examined my genitals, I got a full total erection. I have a very large penis, and I think he thought I wanted to show it off (I didn't), and he even made a joke to that effect, to ease the awkwardness of the situation, I beleive. I felt very embarrassed, and I am dreading my next physical, which is scheduled in a few weeks. I have read that it is not uncommon for a male to become somewhat erect during a physical exam, particularly teenagers, but a total erection? And an adult my age? I would feel better knowing that it really does "happen all the time" and that it is "no big deal" but I am skeptical. Is this true? Please level with me. Like i said, I am dreading seeing him and worried about having a repeat experience. I am even tempted to cancel.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
RedMac,
You should not get so worried about this. I have a few friends who are nurses and they have told a number of times how guys get erect while they are in the room during a physical. Many times an erection occurs when they are getting a prostate exam (the rubber glove up the anus).
If your concern is the fact that it was a man, don't be worried, especially if you are already comfortable with you sex live. You could have simply got aroused through any one of a number of ways and just couldn't stop it.
My guess is that this would not repeat itself.

Wendy
|

replied March 24th, 2009
Hey Red, I'm in my 50s and the last couple of physicals when my doctor did the rectal exam I got hard too. He didn't say anything and neither did I. I was very embarassed as I know he saw my erection as he retracted my foreskin to check for fluids. I think it's just a physical reaction and nothing to worry about.
|
Users who thank mpcsb for this post: orte8r 

replied April 21st, 2009
I've been getting erections during my physicals since I was 13. It's not because I'm sexually turned on, it's just something that happens and I can't stop it.
|

replied August 10th, 2010
Peyronie's disease
about since i was at age 13 i thought that after my
errection i saw that my penis got nothing problem
but until 19 of age...it bends..can anyone tell me
is that any way to get a cure for that??
|