Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

phlegm is very sticky and hard to get up.

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
I have been struggling with phlegm build up for a long time (don't know exactly how long, definitely been several months at least). The area at the top of my chest always feels slightly clogged up.

I have mild allergies so in the past month this clogging has gotten much worse.

Finally, last week I woke up only able to take shallow breaths and since then I have been coughing all the time. It feels often as though I am drowning. Also, I have been coughing so much that my throat is raw and I have no voice. Aside from this I have no flu symptoms.

The phlegm is very sticky and hard to get up. Usually it is clear however it is sometimes (such as the first day last week) a green colour.

Aside from just allergies, what could be going on here?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2012
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A35262
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Chronic cough with phelgm is usually due to chest infection. Pneumonitis,tonsillitis and tuberculosis are some common causes which need to be ruled out.Usually green cough is indicative of bacterial infection and can also signify post nasal drip due to sinus infection.It is impossible to know the cause without respiratory examination and investigations as Sputum test,Chest X ray,blood test etc.

If infection is detected then antibiotics are the main stay of treatment.
Meanwhile for symptomatic relief, follow these measures-

1. Avoid dust, excessive humidity, sudden change in temperatures and any known allergen.

2.Take steam inhalation twice daily - Take hot water in a vessel, put few drops of eucalyptus oil in it.

3.Use normal saline nasal drops for decongestion which encourages drainage.

4.Avoid dairy products,excessive meat and starchy food items as they can exacerbate the symptoms.

5.Drink plenty of water and take herbal teas.

Kindly visit a Physician for deteiled evaluation so that appropriate treatment can be started.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.