Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

ph Balance

Has anyone looked into the ph balance connection - ie. we are all probably very acidic (around 4 or 5) on the ph scale rather than what is considered normal (7).

According to the books I've read on the subject, dark, green, leafy vegetables seem to be the only way to get alkaline again.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has tried this and if getting your ph up to around 7 makes these hypoglycemic symptoms go away. Has anyone had success with this?

Kat1V
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hmmm, well, I know that vegetables are great for us, provided that they're not starchy like carrots or something, but I've also read that this whole pH thing is a load of crap. I don't remember the reasons, because it's very complicated, but the medical journal I read was very presuasive at least. I think just the overall change you make on this kind of diet is beneficial as a whole, but doesn't really relate to anything with pH.
|

replied October 29th, 2009
Hi Stan,

I've been doing the ph balance now for a few weeks now and have noticed that the ph strips sloooooowwwwwly have turned from yellow to blue (acidic to alkaline) in the evenings. (It's still slightly yellowish green in the mornings. Maybe I'm crazy, but the dizziness, vertigo, etc. seems to also be disappearing. I'll keep you posted but I would be interested if anyone else has had any success on this as well.

Kat1V
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Heck, if you see something, I'd be interested in trying it! Give me some links of what you've been doing. I'm curious.
|

replied November 2nd, 2009
Hi Stan,

My first clue was from a book by Timothy Brantley called "The Cure" in which he said he cured all sorts of ailments people had by having them change their diets. More specifically, he mentioned one sick lady was deeply acidic (yellow) on her ph strips. He had her drastically change her diet with raw, green, vegetable juice (amongst other changes) to get her ph up to normal.

Another book by Felicia Drury Kliment called The "Acid Alkaline Balance Diet" supplied more information on ph balance issues. Additionally, it helped guide me to foods such as oils (flax, coconut, and olive), avocados, sardines, and eggs.

Then you (Stan) supplied me with another piece of information that has helped tremendously - apples. I was eating green, leafy vegetables but I was horribly constipated and still dizzy. The apples help with the constipation while giving enough carbs to mentally function.

I eat 2-3 whole apples a day in the morning with my green shake and sardines (yes, the sardines take some getting used to) and one in the afternoon.

Last evening, I ate some chocolate (very acidic) and felt fine. That said, I know that hypoglycemia is always lurking in the background and I can only enjoy sugar/chocolate/crap very, very rarely. That said, I Timothy Brantley's book gave me hope that we can reverse this miserable condition. It just takes time and perseverance.

Kat1V
|

I am interested, what is in the green shake and do you have to eat sardines?
|

Hi Hypo40,

I use green vegetables like spinach, dandelion leaves, cucumber, kale, chives, watercress, avocado, and celery. It's really whatever I have on hand. I add a scoop of wheatgrass powder which I get at Whole Foods and about a tablespoon of flax oil. I add purified water to make it drinkable because it's too thick otherwise. For one person, I aim to have roughly one good handful of vegetables.

It took some getting used to since I wasn't accustomed to drinking such odd flavors. However, I have since gotten used to it and now welcome it in the morning - especially since I get paid off later with a blue ph strip.

As for the sardines - I eat them (along with the flax oil in the smoothie) to get Omega 3 fatty acids which I've read we are all really deficient in and is a big reason why many people become hypoglycemic. I've found that if I eat protein (sardines are easy in the morning), I don't have to eat as frequently throughout the day. However, I'll also eat sunny side up eggs as an alternative for variety. I'll also have an apple.

You may want to google Thomas Smith's book- Insulin: Our Silent Killer. He's got a wesite out there as well that you may want to look at. He's done some pretty extensive research on hydrogenated oils and other factors that lead to hypoglycemia and diabetes.

Kat1V
|

wow, thanks for the info.
|

replied November 17th, 2009
I have heard that if you stick with raw (alkalizing) foods, your body will slowly start to heal itself. I just read the following on the diabetes forum - very interesting:

rainbow_dragon
replied on November 15th, 2009
New User ive been eating the alkaline diet since july 1st 2009.

at first its true that the diet dictated very few carbs and lots of fresh veggies and green smoothies. fruit was not allowed.

after 5 weeks i no longer needed basal insulin of mealtime insulin.
at 2 months i was able to start to bring some low alkaline grains into the menu and watched as my blood sugar levels dropped all by themselves.

after 4 and half months eating this way i now eat moderate carbs each day and occasionally enjoy a meal out with friends.

you can have your treats and eat a healthy diet. but this is not a short term fix, i am in this for good as i enjoy superb normal non-diabetic blood sugars and HbA1c results.

it is my belief that diabetes (for me) has been a symptom of an over acidic body.

now i am not acidic and i do not have diabetic symptoms.
|