Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Persistent upper abdominal pain - No diagnosis

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
For the past 2 years I have had upper right abdominal pain associated with a number of uncomfortable symptoms; most important being nausea, dizziness, bright red blood with bowel movements, acid reflux, gastro discomfort, heart arrhythmia, shortness of breath and red/irritated esophagus, swollen neck glands and sinus cavity. I've undergone numerous non-invasive tests and nothing has ever come of it but a vitamin B12 deficiency and late onset congenital adrenal hyperplasia.

Most recently my pain (which is dull, gnawing, burning, tight) has migrated to my upper left abdominal cavity, associated with immense upper left back pain and muscle spasming. I see a chiropractor regularly to deal with the spasms and discomfort.

I'm at a complete loss. I've gone gluten and lactose free, I don't drink, I've taken almost every gastrointestinal "soothing" supplement on the market, but these methods only provide temporary relief.

Note: My mom was just diagnosed with gallstones a week ago. There is a huge history of gallstones and gallbladder disease in our family. I was convinced that was what I was going through, until the pain migrated.

What could be causing this unidentifiable pain?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2010
Community Volunteer
Have you had a second opinion? What tests have you had done?

Zig
|

replied August 22nd, 2010
Second opinion
I've had even a third opinion, but no new testing recommendations have arisen. I'm also seeing a naturopathic doctor regularly. She seems to be the only one who cares to help me.

I've had numerous blood testing; specifically gallbladder, liver, pancreas, kidneys, h.pylori. I've also had stool and urine samples taken (stool showed nothing but urine showed spots of blood twice).

I've also had 2 abdominal and pelvic ultrasounds returning zero abnormalities. following those I had an abdominal and pelvic CT scan to rule out adrenal gland tumors following my Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia diagnosis.

I'm assuming the next step would be a visit to a gastroenterologist, as I've seen both an endocrinologist and gynecologist where diagnosis' have been made.

My biggest problem of all is that I am emetophobic. I absolutely dread the thought of an upper GI series, endoscopy and colonoscopy. Regardless of my fears, my MD has never once recommended a visit to the gastroenterologist. I'm certain he believes it's all in my head.
|

replied January 2nd, 2011
Exact same problem..
please read my post and let me know what you have found out. My post is Left upper Abdominal Pain. I am having the exact same symptoms and have the exact same phobia since I was little. Please let me know what you have found out. Any information would be great Thank you
|

replied October 13th, 2011
syeren Im wondering if you've gotten any results. It's been a while since you posted. I have the EXACT same situation...gall bladder history in the family and my mother was just told by her doctor that she needed to have her gall bladder removed. Im also emetophobic. I also wanted to know how your ct scan with contrast dye went. I have to have one and I'm nervous about it. Did it make you nauseous?
|

replied October 13th, 2011
Hi bwynn. Nothing new on the abdominal pain front. The pain is still there, though VERY VERY VERY dull now, if at all. I very rarely get nauseous, and my immune system kicks ass even though I take a steroid every day for the rest of my life.

I approached a naturopath and had a food sensitivity test done. This concluded I was intolerant of wheat, gluten, whey, yeast, corn and asparagus. So... I emptied those things from my diet entirely and I feel great. I also quit smoking which helped an immense amount.

The CT scan with contrast dye was interesting, but not upsetting. The worst part is having to drink two extra large glasses of water containing the dye prior to the scan. You only get one chance to pee, and you can't empty your bladder entirely. The nausea came several hours after the scan, and was very mild. I have a very sensitive stomach and I was able to tolerate it quite well. I hope the same for you!

It also seems as though I may have an autoimmune disease called Mastocytosis which has affected my adrenal glands causing them to be insufficient. This may be the cause of my abdominal distress entirely.

My mum never ended up having her gallbladder removed. Turns out it is perfectly healthy. Go figure!

What are your next steps? Have you seen a naturopath/nutritionist/gastroenterologist ?
|