Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Permanent mental blank

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
Hi, I practised a little bit of a meditative technique, only a couple of times, where I focused on not allowing thoughts to intrude into my mind. But ever since that time, this has become a permanent state. My mind is blank (no thoughts whatsoever) all the time... when I'm talking to people, when I talk, when I'm doing anything at all... unless I consciously make the effort to think of thoughts. Otherwise, my mind is blank. I often experience periods of time where, while I am blank, I forget what I’m doing and become unaware of my surroundings, or when I am trying to do two things at once and I automatically stop doing one thing while doing the other. I can’t multitask. I can only focus on one thing at once. I feel like I'm not 100% present or awake or attentive or alert. My mind is clear of thoughts but I feel like my mind is quite foggy/blurry. I often am at a loss for things to say and am bereft of ideas. The results of a neuropsych test showed that my speed of thinking was slowed down.
Recently, I had a first episode psychosis, and my memory has degraded since then. But the mind blankness began 3-4 years ago.
I recently had an EEG done and everything was normal (so I know it's not epilepsy)except: I was conscious during the test but the results show that I had fallen asleep. I have also had a CT and MRI and everything was normal.

Is what I’m experiencing normal? Is this good? Can anyone tell me what this is? A permanent meditative state? Permanent trance? Permanent daydreaming? Does anyone else experience this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile SpiritShadow
|

replied September 11th, 2009
That's interesting, those links. I'm not sure I understand all that is in there, apart from the fact that I am a very spiritual person and have recently been on a journey of self-discovery. The information sounds a little like buddhism and other religions though. I suppose it is positive in that I had many benefits of concentration/intelligence with an empty mind, but that was before I became ill, so the negative effects could have been a result of my illness instead. I dont know.
|

replied September 24th, 2013
Fuzzwuzz- same thing is happening to me since I was 4 never could make a counsious thought just wish I had answers

I just can't make any freinds because of it
|

replied October 11th, 2009
This sounds so much like what I'm going through. It's terrifying for me, because I have such a hard time interacting, communicating with, and being with people. My mind is so still, I feel like I have no views or opinions to share. It doesn't seem to respond with thought to any stimulation... If you find out anything about what might be causing this sort of thing, please post it. I'm feeling pretty desperate for answers.
|

replied June 16th, 2012
Wow! I actually just googled this because I thought this is sort of how I feel. I can really find myself in your posts. I've had 1 heavy psychosis and 2 mild psychosisses over the past 3 years. Afther my first on (the heavy) I recovered quickly. But now it's become different.
Although i also feel like I have an ounce of positive energy left I also feel like alot of my "inner flame" or something has died out..
I feel blank minded very often and when I'm not blank minded my mind can sometimes mess me up on the inside. I get excactly the opposite i feel very restless, like I "must" gotta think constantly this urge is really strong. Sometimes I can somehow go back to blank because that is better.
The most stressfull part is that I feel like I'm socially numb or something. I still go out and I've really put in effort to keep my friends but it's different somehow, less natural.
PS: I also have a lot of anxiety when I meet new people, to an unhealthy extent, did have normal anxiety before sometimes...
|

replied December 27th, 2009
I've been experiencing a pretty similar state of being. I particularly started to notice the difference in my mind after a long battle with Severe-Extreme Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, so I attributed the blank feeling to great amounts of mental stress along with the connections in my brain being rewritten by the OCD.

But now that I've gotten rid of my OCD, I want to fix this terrible vacant mental listlessness. I miss having more initiative, coming up with interesting new ideas, and being able to easily daydream and ponder.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions of what can be done, please talk about it.

Recently, I've been trying to concentrate on creative endevours, trying to pull out some of my dormant mental abilities. At least, I hope they're just dormant. I'm only eighteen. I know that sounds selfish, as if my age should garner more concern, but I am hoping my creative energies didn't peak at age 15.

Anyway, if anyone has any information about this disjointed, void-like mental feeling, please let us know.
|

replied February 26th, 2010
I have this for 4 years now, 24/7 Sad((( I want to get in touch with other sufferers. The only thing I can think is causing this is either severe depression or kundalini.
|

replied February 26th, 2010
I experience this too (although not quite to the extent that you do) and it has been happening since a little before I had my first psychosis. I think it's possible that it is related to the psychosis because some symptoms do come on before the more noticeable psychotic ones.
|

replied May 12th, 2010
Linked to Anxiety?
The same problem occured for me, a blank mind, and difficulty remembering things, long-term or short-term, when I got 4 nights of consequetive no-sleep, and had a severe panic attack. I now have panic attacks because I sense this blankness. I basically feel dead inside, whereas before, I felt euphorically alive. It probably can be regained but I feel it would take alot of retraining of the mind, and alot of money and time. I believe the root cause of this is anxiety. Perhaps if we get our anxiety under control we can begin to think with our right brains.
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2010
It's almost creepy, reading your post...Wow.
Fuzzwuzz - Quite honestly, I'm shocked. Without an ounce of exaggeration, I can say that your initial post is my EXACT situation. Every word. Has been since I remember. I have never heard anyone express this, and thought I was just unique, weird, or plain crazy - and alone. Thank you for sharing. I wish to the Gods, I had answers. Just know you certainly are not alone. I hope someone has the answers, here...it is very stressful, claustrophobic, and for me - strongarms me into a marginal existence, against what I desire and know I can be. I am starving and desperate to LIVE, rather than merely survive.
|

replied July 15th, 2012
mind blankless
I am suffering from the same thing since last 7 year's and it all started after practicing meditation . . . It's very difficult situation to deal with . If anyone know any remedy to deal w/th this then please share . .
|

replied May 27th, 2013
related to blank mind
some other facts, if you have liver problems like portal hypertation, the mind slows down(you do not think fast) and often feels confused and sense words less which can lead to feeling not normal and harder to get along with.
|

replied July 14th, 2013
am i going through some mental disease?
I'm going through same situation.Even I can't think on something,I dont want to meet and communicate people outside.I never wanted to talk to someone I've to stress myself to answer some question.I can't find things pleasing that were ever source of happiness for me.
I am desperate to enjoy life , please help me out
|

replied September 24th, 2013
Fuzzwuzz- same thing is happening to me since I was 4 never could make a counsious thought just wish I had answers

I just can't make any freinds because of it
|

replied October 10th, 2013
this happens to me for several months when I started to meditate hope to deal further
|

replied January 12th, 2014
The root cause of all these problems is lack of faith .
i was also suffering from same desease but now healing i was muslim but only by name and i found it was bec of my sins ie mastrbate ,hitting girls etc
but now after i connect with God my problems are automatically solving day by day .
So be a Muslim all problems will be solved and people by suffring u come to know what is the problem.
|