Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

peristalsis slowed down

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hi,

I got a number of colonics last year as part of colon cleansing that I wanted to do. I had never had a problem with constipation. And the colon hydrotherapist commented that I had had great peristalsis (the intestinal movement).

So I went on a very low carbohydrate diet late last year. I had some trouble maintaining the diet. I felt like I was getting some low blood sugar symptoms or something. Nausea, a few large stomach aches, lethargy etc. I felt terrible on the diet. I stuck with the diet for about 6 weeks and than I finally decided to add some fruit to my diet. Well I started having some constipation. I'm not sure exactly when this happened. I would poop every few days but my stools would be little hard balls and I might have a little more trouble than normal. I figured this was due to my diet and it would improve when I changed my diet.

Well that was over 9 months ago. Over the summer I started adding a lot of vegetables. About a month ago I started adding a lot of grains back into my diet. But I am still having some problems with constipation. At best my poops have cracks in them like balls pressed together. I have never had any problems with constipation and I think I have had a great digestion system. I am 31 years old. Well I went back to that colon hydro-therapist and she told me that my peristalsis is very weak now. So I have had chronic constipation for a good 9 months and I'm trying to figure out how to cure it and what caused the slow down of peristalsis.

I think that I eat more than enough fiber, drink enough pure water, and exercise enough. I have had some problems with anxiety and depression when I was a teenager, and I still have reduced problems with them. So I think maybe I damaged my intestinal nerves with the extreme diet. Or maybe I changed my gut chemistry and somehow I have less serotonin which slowed down my peristalsis.

I think my colon is pretty well cleared out since I had the colonic and the feces that came out was soft and the water got all the way down to my small intestine opening. Well I would like any advice you guys have on what I can do to improve my peristalsis. And any idea on what happened that slowed down my peristalsis. Thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?
|