Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Peripheral neuropathy in feet

User Profile
hi - 37 YO female - I have been struggling with peripheral neuropathy in my feet primarily. Some days good and tingling is minimal. Some days tingling is all over. I have been tested for diabetes - two hour glucose tolerance test - and everything tested normal. I've been tracking triggers to the widespread symptoms and have noticed the tingling increases when I eat. Maybe 5 minutes after eating, tingling will spread from my feet to nearly everywhere - face, back, etc. I have been diagnosed with Gilbert's syndrome - a "benign" liver condition. Wondering if these symptoms could be a form of reactive hypoglycemia, and if so, what can I do to improve?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2010
Hypoglycemia Answer A11383
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned with peripheral neuropathy, the common symptoms of which include tingling and numbness. The known causes of peripheral neuropathy are diabetes, alcoholism, poor nutrition or vitamin deficiency, herniated discs in the back, liver failure, hypothyroidism, certain medications and infections such as shingles, Lyme disease or AIDS. You are probably not diabetic as your glucose tolerance test showed normal results. As far as reactive hypoglycemia is concerned, it is a relatively common condition primarily affecting diabetic patients treated with insulin or other hypoglycemic drugs and insulinoma patients. So, hypoglycemia is probably not the cause for peripheral neuropathy in your case. You must consult your physician for definitive diagnosis and therapy as the same cannot be ascertained online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hypoglycemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.