Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Periods in 40 year old women

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Just turned 40 and my periods are odd!! This last month I seemed to spot for a day then nothing. I would spot again then the bleeding was heaver but not as heavy as usual and the blood seemed to disappear then it would start again. Before when I went to the bathroom & would wipe there would always be blood. I'm wondering what's happening. I was afraid this month I was pregnant but since I'm bleeding, I assume I'm not. I also haven't noticed blood clots like I used to have. Does every woman experience this? I've been off the pill for 2 years and my period just seems strange. Every month when I buy pads I think "gee, I may never have to use these again."
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2011
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

According to the symptoms reported by you it seems that you are having premenopausal symptoms and woman can exhibit irregular bleeding and spotting with mood swings,hot flashes,sore breasts etc.
If the symptoms are quite distressing consider visiting a Gynaecologist for evaluation and medications if required.

Take Care!

|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2011
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The changes in bleeding pattern could be indicative of hormonal changes, pregnancy, perimenopause etc. Only after careful examination and hormonal tests done, the exact cause can be made out. If pregnancy is suspected, a serum/blood HCG level test would help to confirm/rule it out. Visit your doctor/gynecologist for further help and assistance.
Take care.

|

replied June 1st, 2011
Strange periods
My periods are irregular. I had a very low flow in January 4 (only the tip of the tampon) and another one in April 6 (only the tip of the tampon). My doctor has ordered a pelvic exam (quite painful) and I haven't heard back. It's been about a month.

I just had a strange period start May 30th and all that's coming out is very limited brown discharge.

Any helpful suggestions at this point are welcomed. Perhaps I need to get another doctor?

Thanks
|

replied June 1st, 2011
Strange periods
My periods are irregular. I had a very low flow in January 4 (only the tip of the tampon) and another one in April 6 (only the tip of the tampon). My doctor has ordered a pelvic exam (quite painful) and I haven't heard back. It's been about a month.

I just had a strange period start May 30th and all that's coming out is very limited brown discharge.

Any helpful suggestions at this point are welcomed. Perhaps I need to get another doctor?

Thanks
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
Feeling dizzy with my period
I am forty years old and feel dizzy everytime i have my period.I have a very heavy flow and it lasts for two days. During this time i feel very dizzy. What could be wrong with me as I did not experience this in my younger days?
|

replied January 15th, 2013
I am 43 years old, and I am experiencing a 2 1/2 week period. I am on day 18. My period started out normal, but it just continues to be light spotting. I have never experienced this in the past. I am also on a Merina IUD, but I get a period every month that is light, but lasts about 7 days. In addition, about 3 - 4 months ago, I had an ultrasound and the doctor found a cyst the size of a grapefruit on my uterus. I was quite concerned, but she was not that concerned and said that this was normal for my age and that hormones produce this cyst monthly. Should I be concerned?
|

replied June 7th, 2013
Irregular Periods
I am 42 years old and recently been experiencing irregular periods. I
seem to have a period every two weeks and I bleed heavily for five days then it lightens up the last two days. i was on the depo shot for 8 years and stopped it almost two years ago cause i was trying to get pregnant. Now i just dont think im able too.
|

replied August 5th, 2013
problem with my period
I am a 40 year old woman. almost In one year I have a problem when I got my period at first day is came brown coffee, and is very light period (Use as one pack a day)a second day almost gone is that normal? Thanks
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.