Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Period-like symptoms and irregular bleeding

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
Hello! I have a question. I was on Yaz continuously for the past 5 years. I would go off of it twice a year. I did notice that it never did block out all of my symptoms. I also noticed that I was getting period symptoms without the bleeding twice a week during my normal period time and then another week not during my normal period time. I went off the pill completely in May. I got my period as normal and bled. I noticed that I did not have as many severe symptoms as I did before I went on the pill. However, I have noticed that I am still getting two weeks each month with period symptoms. Every other week this is happening. The one week I have period symptoms for 4-5 days (bloating, lower back pain, pms, cramps, acne, but no bleeding). Then the next week I am fine. The week following, I get my actual normal period with bleeding and everything. So, in summary, I am getting a period every other week, just one period is with the bleeding. Does anyone have any advice?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2008
Menstruation Answer A4612
There is nothing to worry about because you have only one period (menstruation) in a month as it should be. It is very important that you don't have irregular bleeding. “Period like symptoms” that are not related to any other vaginal bleeding can be related to certain other health issues. You can request several medical tests (blood tests, ultrasound scan...) to reveal what might be the cause for the symptoms.

You may want to consult your GP for further diagnostics and therapy.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.