Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Period dark brown and one day

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I have been on bc for 3 years, and use condoms every time. however, sometimes I don't take my bc pills very consistently, meaning,taking them late, or forget a day. but then take two the next day. but, I have taken every pill that i am supposed to take. I am especially careful when I know that I am going to have sex, and take my pills on time. I was with my boyfriend 4 days before my period was due, we used a condom and i took my bc. my period came around the same time it usually does, possibly 1 day late, except this time it was a dark brown color, and only lasted a day. The first day of my period i wore 1 pad all day til 5pm and there was brown blood on it. for the rest of the day i used a tampon and there was min blood on it. the 2nd day there was hardly anything except for brown spotting on toilet paper. I am wondering what this means. is this normal? usually i have periods that last for 2-3 days, pretty light, starting out brown, then reddish, then brown as it ends.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2010
Menstruation Answer A17140
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

If you had sex just 4 days before the periods then you cannot be pregnant even if the condom broke. This is a safe time and no pregnancy can occur (provided you did not have sex earlier in the same cycle). At times the periods are a bit erratic without any cause or due to infection. Watch the next cycle. If this too behaves erratic then consult a gynecologist. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.