Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Period changes..

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I have a question about my period. I'm 21 and have been getting my period since I was 11, so I've had plenty of time to be regular, which I was until last year. My periods were always about 28 days apart and were really heavy the first two days where I'd go through super plus tampons about every two hours and would have to wear overnight pads with them. The third day was pretty normal and I could wear regular tampons for about 6 hours. By the 4th or 5th day it was always gone. I'm not sure if that info was necessary, but I thought telling was a normal period for me was like might be important.
So, in February 2009, I got a Depo Provera shot. It made me bleed every single day, which I know is normal, but they told me by the time I got my second shot the bleeding would stop. When it was time for my third shot, I was still bleeding. It was really light bleeding, but it was enough to be annoying, especially since i had to wear a pantyliner constantly. And also! the whole point of getting the shot is so I wouldn't have to worry about getting pregnant, but with my constant bleeding, I couldn't have sex the way I wanted anyways! Just wanted to vent that...
Anyway, I didn't get my third shot and the bleeding had stopped after a month past the time I was supposed to get it. The next month my period was back to normal. I think this was October. Again, not sure if you need this info, but I thought I'd share. Then, earlier this year my periods changed again. One month it would be super heavy, which was normal for me, then the next month it was really light, where I'd use maybe three super plus tampons during my whole period. Also, the time between periods was different, but consistently different if that makes sense. One month the time between would be around 24 days, then the next month it'd be 32 days until I started again. It alternated like this pretty much exactly every month, until September. In September I was almost two weeks late, my period was super duper light and I used only a couple regular tampons that never even got full, and it lasted 2 and a half days. This month was exactly the same, except I was only a week late this time. I've heard that women can bleed if they're pregnant, though I didn't know how much it was, but I got a little paranoid and took two pregnancy tests just to rule it out. They both came out negative and it was only a week ago, which was a month after my first light period, so I think that would be enough time to be able to tell if I was pregnant...
Sorry this was terribly long, but this seems like the kind of thing every detail might be needed for.
I would like to know why my periods have changed like this and if I should maybe get something checked out? Since my period had gone back to normal after the Depo shot, would that even be a factor anymore? Thanks for your help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|