Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Period but no blood?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Last week I was supposed to get my period, yet it never came. Instead, I had a lot of clear vaginal discharge and one brief day of blood. When my period was late, I took a pregnancy test, and it was negative. What was strange is this discharge ran like a regular period. So I took yet another test, still negative. What is an explanation for this, because it felt like I was having my period without blood, if that makes sense.

side note:
I am 20 and just came back to college from winter break. Stress may be a factor, change in environment, sleep patterns, etc, yet the clear discharge still doesn't make sense.

Really could use help, since I may be stressing this and just delaying to some more.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
I get lots of clear discharge and bits of bleeding when Im mid-cycle

perhaps your periods are on pause for a while because of stress.
|

replied September 7th, 2010
I am having the same problem right now and I've been under a lot of stress due to various reasons (school starting, thinking I might be pregnant, along with the general stress of PMS). I am also having a lot of clear discharge and the last time I peed it was kind of pulpy and I had read from other people that they had a similar thing happen and they believed it was shreds of their uterine lining. Did you happen to have this at any point? My discharge is even staining my underwear slightly with a tinge of brown. I know this is more than a year later but I thought maybe you could help me a little by sharing some more of your experience.
|

replied March 18th, 2011
blood vs. blood free menstruating
It's a good thing. Research wild animals vs. domesticated animals and humans who live low fat high exercise lifestyles. You can definitely menstruate without hemmoraging, aka blood. Our soceity can be ignorant in some ways, even though we think of ourselves as advanced. Not understanding pain free blood free menstruation and pain free child birth are some of those ways that we have medically supported ignorance and pay the price for it.
|

replied December 30th, 2013
Hi, Tingtng,

I read your comment 2 years ago about the poor understanding of blood-free menstruation. Where could I read more about it? I have been missing mine for more than 6 months - (constantly exposed to stress) - wondering if that could be a wise decision of the body to keep its energy ...

Would be very grateful if you give me some answers, thanks Smile

Maria
|

replied December 30th, 2013
Hi, Tingtng,

I read your comment 2 years ago about the poor understanding of blood-free menstruation. Where could I read more about it? I have been missing mine for more than 6 months - (constantly exposed to stress) - wondering if that could be a wise decision of the body to keep its energy ...

Would be very grateful if you give me some answers, thanks Smile

Maria
|

replied March 18th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Tingling, It will be interesting to hear what you think menstruation is?

It is true that it is not pure (or even normal) blood. Describing menstruation as hemorrhaging is also not correct. The blood in menstrual flow is not from part of your active circulatory system.

After ovulation, your uterus lining (endometrium) will prepare for a possible implantation of a fertilized egg. It thickens and is filled with small blood vessels and small pools of blood.

When implantation does not happen, this thickened layer will dissolve and be excreted (12 to 16 days after ovulation for 95% of all ovulating woman). An anti-clotting agent inside this layer will prevent the blood trapped in the lining from clotting. Sometimes the lining does not break down completely and larger pieces are excreted.

The cramps women get is from this lining breaking up. The uterus will contract to loosen this enriched lining. These contractions are the cramps you are feeling. During an orgasm, your uterus may contract in the same way, just without the discomfort. For this reason, having an orgasm is often a 'home remedy' for the cramps as it will speed this process up a bit. It can also make your flow start a bit earlier if you have an orgasm when you are close to menstruation. Having an orgasm during menstruation will help to push out the menstrual debris and you can get a sudden rush and then a shorter period of flow.

The menstrual debris is not actually pure blood. It is a mixture of this lining tissue and blood that was trapped inside it. It can be anything from bright red to brown, depending on the amount of anti-clotting agent in your uterus lining and the amount of time it was exposed to air.

If you have no menstrual debris during your cycle, the chances are very very good that you are not menstruating. There are nowhere else these waste material can go. Its got to go down the cervix and out the vagina.

Take care!
|

replied August 9th, 2012
hii...
i have been facing the same problem for over a year now! my periods used to be perfect before.. but somehow over the past four years they have gone awry.. nevertheless i used to get them even if i am a week or 10 days late. but over the past one year or so, they have gone too irregular. i get them once in two months or three months.. and sometimes it so happens that i dont bleed at all.. i have this brown thick discharge(the shed uterus lining) staining my panties. but but hardly a drop of blood.
what is happening? i am only 21
|

replied August 27th, 2012
u know even i have the same problem i have periods without blood i know it because there is a brown discharge but no blood at all also they last for over 10-15 days. i have cramps like during normal periods and also there is a foul smell.
|

replied September 22nd, 2013
I am having the same weird period and I also feel like I am coming down with a cold that doesn't actually come in the last few weeks. The period last month was similar (a little blood) and lasted the normal amount of time. Confused
|

replied September 26th, 2013
For the second month I have what I describe as a non period for 2 or 3 days and 3 days later I have a period, help
|

replied October 1st, 2013
I have done 2 tests and both were negative.
|

replied November 19th, 2012
Hi I've had no periods since I had my implant put in over a year ago and 19/11/12 I had a bleed when I went to the toilet.. I mean the water in the toilet was red. What could this be?
|