Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Perimenopause and missing periods

Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
User Profile
Iam 42 years old for no reason I have not gotten my period. I am like clock work every month I get a heavy period. I have never been pregnant. I am not experiencing any menepausal symptoms . I feel not hungry tired and nasauea. I am cocerned my doctor is running blood work on me but I am afraid the longer this takes maybe there is no blood flow to the ovaries and they will die. I ask Dr, to give me something to bring it on but until he knows what is going on he refuses. I recently found ot I have a intraparotid lymph node lesion reactive and I have a rt and lt liver lobe lesions. Going for MRI to characterize them. I dont feel any way that my period is coming . Should I run to a acupunists.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2009
Menstruation Answer A6739

There are many reasons for a missing period. Your body might answer to stress (both physical and psychological) with a missing period. The physical stress might include illness, for example. Changes in hormone blood levels might cause the missing period, too. The reasons for hormonal changes are various, but given your age (42), the missing period might be a sign of perimenopause.

Perimenopause is the period when the body shifts to menopause. The hormonal changes start and the female sex hormonal production starts to decrease until it is completely stopped in menopause. During this period the periods might be irregular and might change in length, either shorter or longer. The quantity of blood loss might change, too. The periods would become lighter and in time they would completely stop marking the menopause.

However, as previously mentioned, there are many other reasons for a missing period. You might want to visit your gynecologist in order to check if any other reason is causing the missing period.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.