Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

people with good immune system don't need wait 6 mos.?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Sir,

you have answered one guy on 25 -05 -2011 , and his question was
can a test done at 5.5 months become positive later ?

And your ans is
Any test for HIV, gives only the current status of infection, and does not predict the future changes of the test results.

But, 97% of individuals that are infected with HIV, become seropositive within 4-12 weeks of exposure.

Hence in your case, since the tests have been negative, so far, the chances for the test results to change is only 3 %

Here you have mention that chance of test result to change is 3%

When i asked same question you told me these 3 % is for those who have
following prob

1. Disorders of antibody production: Hypogammaglobulinemia ; X-linked agammaglobulinemia ; IgA deficiency ; IgG deficiency ; IgM deficiency ; Hyper IgM syndrome ; Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome • Hyper-IgE syndrome

2. Common variable immunodeficiency etc.

And people with good immune system does not need to wait till 6 months

Sir , please make it clear

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A23392
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The answer given is self explanatory.

It is certainly possible that a negative test result to change to a positive, overtime. This is the basis, why health care providers ask patients to repeat the tests at a later date, to avoid missing a infected patient.

97% of normal individuals with a good immune system, produce antibodies within 4-12 weeks and the remaining (3%) might produce the antibodies, around or after 6 months.

I have mentioned the conditions, (that you have mentioned in the query above) which in case a person has, can have delayed antibody production, and hence will require repeated testing upto 6 months or more. It is in such patients that tests can become positive at a later date.

I hope this clears your doubts.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.