Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Penis length, color after hernia repair

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
I had a hernia repair operation several days ago on a hernia in the left groin area, near the genital area. Now my scrotum is enlarged, but my penis is shorter. (girth is the same). Also, the penis is partially discolored (dark purple).

Note. The repair operation used a plastic mesh, if that is relevant.

So are these post-surgery conditions relatively common? Will my penis length be permanently reduced? Will the discoloration be permanent.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2010
Swelling and bruising after hernia surgery is not uncommon, and they should both gradually resolve over a period of a few weeks. Swelling that continues to increase after surgery, increasing pain, redness of the skin, or drainage from the incision are NOT normal, however; and should they occur, then you would need to see your surgeon again without delay.

Your penis length/girth will not be affected by this operation.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race" (2010)

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.