Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

Pelvic Fracture Recovery Time

I fractured my pelvis in two places 5 weeks ago after a fall from my bike when I hit black ice. I was hospitalized for a week but not operated on. The orthopedist at first told me it would be a 6 week recovery time but later said it might be 8 weeks when I visited his office. He said I'm making good progress and I certainly don't want to rush the situation. However, do you know when I should have another x-ray taken to ascertain my progress?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Les38,

Depends upon how the bone was healing at your last appointment. If it showed callus formation and was on track for proper healing, then you probably don't need another x-ray till around the 8-10 week mark.

If, however, there was no callus formation or seemed to be a delay in healing, and the surgeon did not advance your activity level, then you should have another x-ray in a couple of weeks or before an increase in activity is allowed.

Basically, it is up to the surgeon, but usually, the clinical exam and how you are doing is the most important thing to follow. If your pain is decreasing and moving around is getting easier and easier, then your fracture is most likely healing nicely.

Also, you do not want to have any more radiation than necessary to the pelvic region (reproductive organs). Necessary x-rays are necessary, but you don't really want to have extra ones, just to see how things are going.

If you have any concerns, speak with your surgeon. He is in the best position to answer your questions, as he has seen your films, knows your history, exam, etc.

Also, remember, getting the bone to unite is just the first step. Once the bone is pretty well healed, then the hard part starts, rehabilitation and getting back into shape.

Good luck. Hope your are healing well.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Recovery
Quick Reply