Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Pebbly bowel movement

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I had problems having regular bowel movements for awhile and for the past 2 weeks I've changed my diet to eat an oatmeal breakfast high in fiber and at least two pieces of fruit and nuts a day. I now noticed that my movements are at least once a day but are now pebbly in texture. Is that a sign of the old poo making its way out of my system?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2010
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A15246
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the chronic constipation and pebbly stools after starting high fibre diet 2 weeks before.
Pebble stools reflect a lack of stool cohesion caused by a deficiency in dietary fiber. Fiber lends bulk to stool but is also the glue that causes stool mass to stick together. It takes time for your GI tract to come to terms with itself once the high fibre diet has been started. Till that time you may pass pebbly stools and slowly the texture of stools will normalise as the problem of chronic constipation is taken care of.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.