Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

pea sized lump on neck

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I found a pea sized lump on my neck about 7 months ago. At first I thought it was just a knot in my neck and I tried everything to get rid of it massage therapy and I even saw a chiropractor. None of these things helped. The knot is painless so I ignored it for awhile but the last few months I have been sick all of the time and have been getting all kinds of different infections some with fever and some without. My glands in my throat and my armpits have been swollen as well and I've had extreme night sweats. I don't want to jump to conclusions and say that it could be cancer but I really could use some advice. I've been a healthy,active 29 year old woman with no major health problems. Now I don't even want to get out of bed in the morning because of the fatigue. Any ideas???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2010
Unfortunately, it is not possible to offer patients a specific diagnosis over the internet. Most of the time, enlarged lymph nodes are due to the body's immune response to infection or inflammation. Less commonly, lymph nodes can become enlarged due to lymph node cancer (lymphoma) or cancer that has spread to lymph nodes from another site . If you believe that your lymph nodes are enlarging (particularly if they are painless), then your doctor can arrange for a lymph node biopsy to be performed to rule-out cancer (or chronic inflammatory diseases of the lymph nodes).

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.