Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Pea-sized lump on anus

Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
This is difficult for me to mention to complete strangers mainly because I have never experienced anything like this, so please keep this in mind. Embarassed

This morning when I was taking a shower, I happened to come across a pea-sized lump somewhat inside the rim of my rectal opening (anus). I was shocked when I found it thinking that I may have some sort of cancerous tumor or STD (in spite of not having been with a partner and not being gay).

The day before, I lifted weight twice as well as had stool that was somewhat hard to expel. I am wondering if this may have been either the culprit or the catalyst in it all, but whatever the case, it is really scaring me.

The place has no noticeable pain but it is somewhat tender. It is not on the inside as I noted about it being right on the edge (but inside the skin) of the rim. I have heard more so that this may require surgery while in other circles, I have heard that it may go away on it's own. I am almost afraid, now, to use the restroom for fear of making anything worse. I can see it with a mirror, and hope and pray that it is in fact some sort of aggravated gland due to the prior day's activities of lifting, etc, but knowing my luck and the way this day has turned out, I would highly doubt that.

If any of you could give me some insight into this, I would really appreciate it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Welcome to EHEALTH forum!
There is no need to worry too much!
I'm sure that you have external hemorrhoids, dilated or bulging veins under the skin around the anus, that are usually felt as a soft lump at the anal opening.
Habitually straining to have a bowel movement, due to constipation, and standing or lifting too much, are one of the few risk factors for developing hemorrhoids.

Have you noticed streaks of blood on the toilet paper after straining to pass a stool?
Are you often constipated?
|

replied September 9th, 2008
I can't say that I notice any blood worth mentioning. I mean, if I wipe too hard, there might be a tiny tiny streak, but I believe that this is just from over-wiping or wiping too hard.

I can say that my diet could be better. I drink a lot of milk and it always makes me feel bloated as it is whole milk. I eat a lot of cereal and usually have at least 1 red meat of some sort. Barely ever do I worry about vegetables or fruits and in spite of eating them, I never thought that I should eat more!

So I have an appointment set up to see the doctor tomorrow. I'm not really constipated often and normally, my movements aren't as bad as that one bad day.

Can these things be fixed? I know that I've heard that they "flare up" and that some continually come back, but is there a way to not only manage them but eliminate them for good? The idea of having to treat these things from this day forward is rather frightening.
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The most important aspect of hemorrhoid management is prevention.
You'll prevent them or even cause them to disappear, if you eat fruits and vegetables, drink plenty of water, not postponing the urge to defecate and not straining during defecation.
Sitting in warm water for approximately 15 minutes at a time may ease the symptoms.
Avoid any activities that require heavy lifting of objects.
There are different degrees of hemorrhoids and they are treated differently.
|

replied July 13th, 2011
lump near my anus
i have the same problem.. i have a lump just near my anus about the size of a pea its a pinkish colour the same colour of the skin there.. i also do a lot of weight lifting. it doesnt really hurt much. the lump is soft. i find myself pushing to pass wind.. im 17 and im quite worried could someone help me out.. thank you
|

replied January 23rd, 2012
Oh May God!!! Is That Cancer!!! i have the Small Problem!!! i have a pea-sized lump in the rim of my anus... its kinda painful when i put pressure in it... the pain is like squeezing a pimple... T.T I'm only 15 and i have cancer already.... T.T
|

replied April 10th, 2012
no dear. it's only a pimple trapped in your anus:) you're too young for a cancer.
|

replied April 10th, 2012
no dear. it's only a pimple in your anus. you're too young for a cancer.
|

replied May 8th, 2013
noone is too young to get cancer
this probably isnt it though
|

replied July 18th, 2012
I have the same problem but that lump appears only when I'm pooping and goes away after that its painless and does not cause me any discomfort but I'm really worried about what might it be I'm a 20 year old male
|

replied September 23rd, 2012
How can you dismiss someone as being only fifteen and too young to have cancer... That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard!!!!
|

replied April 7th, 2013
I also have a small pea sized bump around anus opening and i noticed it after a BM and its not painful but its tender after pooping. I lift weights as well and i just dont want anything more than a hemorrhoid
|