Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Pea sized lump in armpit

Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
User Profile
I have a lump the size of a pea under my right armpit. What medical practitioner should I go visit to get this checked out. I am a 28 year old male, that does not smoke and drinks occasionally.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2010
Gland Disorders Answer A11135
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know what a lump a size of a pea under your armpit is.

There are three possible diagnoses for a lump the size of a pea under the armpit: enlarged lymph node, folliculitis or hydradenitis. Enlarged lymph nodes may appear in local or general infections or in metastatic dissemination of tumors. Folliculitis is an infection of the hair follicle and is treated with antibiotics. Hydradenitis is inflammation or infection of the sweat glands. If both folliculitis and hydradenitis don't heal after taking antibiotics, a small incision is required to drain the pus.

Given the data that you described, you may experience one of the conditions listed above. You may consider seeing your doctor for further diagnosis.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.