Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

PCOS and pain in lower abdomen

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
User Profile
Since 3 years I have been having sharp/stabbing pains in my lower right abdonment. The pain started appearing around my period, but now it's there 3 out of 4 weeks with a peak around ovalution. In these 3 years the pain has become worse and now I'm on painkillers almost every day.

Since about 4 months I now also have menstr. cramps, not only around my period, but also 3 out of 4 weeks. My periods have become shorter and less heavy (I only have minor bloodloss for about 24/36hrs), but the pain has increasened a lot. Now I not only have the menstr. cramps but also sharp, stabbing pains.

The gyn has detected PCOS in my right ovary. He then said that normally you dont have pain with PCOS, but pain is my main symptom. My gyn has stopped checking me for other things even though the pain is still there. I have a strong feeling that this pain might be caused by endometrioses (as I also have bladder and bowel problems which seems related to my period). Am I right to think this?

Thank

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2010
Ovulation and Ovaries Answer A15169
Hello,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
The symptoms that you described do suggest possibility of endometriosis.
Discuss about it in your next visit to your gynecologist and request for a diagnostic laparoscopy to look for the exact cause. The procedure done will also help to remove the endometrial implants and/or adhesions if visible. This will resolve the pain. Alternatively, you can also discuss about medical management will hormonal pills to control the symptoms of endometriosis before going in for the diagnostic laparoscopy. If the medical management does not help, then surgical option should be considered.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.