Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Patch and morning after pill

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Today I ejaculated inside my girlfriends vagina. She is on the patch. Today is the last day to wear it then she takes it off to wait for her period. Sperm can live for 3 days or more right? I'm worried when her egg is released she will be pregnant. Will she be? Does she have to take the morning after pill after she takes off her patch for us not to become pregnant? Or do we wait for her period? What will happen if she does take the pill? Ps she has been on the patch for a year and never got pregnant.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2011
Community Volunteer
If she has been on the patch for a year, then taking it off for her period will not get her pregnant. The patch works similar in the way to birth control pills, you use it for all of the month EXCEPT for the one week you either take the placebo pills (if you are on the pill) or remove your patch.

A girl/woman does not release an egg unless she is ovulating at the time. Since your girlfriend has been on the patch for over a year, chances are, the hormones in the patch work sufficiently enough to block the hormone responsible for ovulation, therefore she is most likely not ovulating. Ovulation, for almost every girl/woman, occurs 12-14 days BEFORE their period. So, even if she did ovulate, she was on the patch during that time.

If she changes birth control methods, such as going from the patch to the pill, you will need to wear a condom for at least a month, while her body adjusts to the new hormones. If your girlfriend misses a patch, wear a condom. But since she is only taking her patch off to allow for her monthly period, you should be protected.

If you are uneasy after reading this (since there is ALWAYS a chance of pregnancy when you have sex without a condom...I know, my son was conceived while I was on the pill), then there is no harm in taking the morning after pill.

There are some side effects to the morning after pill, so read the insert that comes with the pill, so you know what to expect. The morning after pill is simply a birth control pill on steroids. It works by preventing any egg that may have been fertilized from implanting into the uterine wall. If a fertilized egg has already implanted (meaning she is pregnant), then the morning after pill will not work.
|
Users who thank motherofhighspiritedones for this post: RickyIzaguirre 

replied February 25th, 2011
Thank you so much. This helped a lot.
|