Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Passing out during blood test

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
My 16 year old daughter just got a blood test and she passed out during the procedure. She then came to and passed out again. What scares me the most is that she looked like she was having a seizure the second time. The nurse said, oh she is ok, this happens all the time. Well, it doesn't to her and it scared me. Should I be worried?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2009
Anxiety and Stress Answer A7107
Dear Worried,

It may be that your daughter has a blood-injection phobia. 3 - 4% of the population has this specific phobia. Blood-injection phobias tend to run in families and are frequently accompanied by nausea, dizziness and/or fainting, which do not occur with other specific phobias. The fainting response is common and can be prevented by having your daughter lie down while receiving a blood test to prevent her heart rate and blood pressure from dropping.

I am not sure what you specifically mean when you suggest that your daughter appeared as if she was having a seizure (i.e., there are different types of seizures with various symptoms). Given that you are concerned, schedule an appointment with a qualified doctor to address her symptoms and rule out a neurological condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.