Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

passing mucus in stool

Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
Help! since few months ago, i have noticed there was some mucus in my stool but i dint pay much attention on it. Until recently i have constipation, i need to strain to pass motion,the size of stool varies,and i noticed foul-smelling mucus ( brownish or clear) when i wipe.i dint find any blood on the stool and no alter bowel habit, but i feel that recently i pass out a lot of gas,i dont have any stomachache. what is wrong with me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 27th, 2009
Have you tested yourself?
I have the same issues. Every once in awhile I have a foul smelling mucus and I will have bad gas at the same time. A couple months ago I went to the GI doctor and he gave me an endoscopy and colonoscopy. I was freaking out at that point, actually, cause I also told him about some infrequent blood when I wiped in the past, and he got really concerned.

Anyway, it turned out I had some colon polyps and stomach ulcers. He removed the polyps and they were non-cancerous and I was relived, but I had to go on medication for my ulcer. I noticed that certain foods I ate, even when on my medication, gave me discomfort and caused the bad gas and mucus. I only really noticed this because I was worried and wanted to figure out what was wrong with me. Turns out it all has to do with diet. If you eat irregular meals, they will not digest the same. Apparently, when you eat it is liquefied in your stomach and travels all the way through your intestines as liquid. While there, gas can form causing intestinal pain if you have a sensitivity to something you are digesting. Further, it doesn't become solid waste until it hits your colon, which is only like 8 feet long compared to the length of your small intestines... It becomes solid by your colon absorbing the excess liquid in your waste which condenses it. Bacteria also interacts with it which can cause even more gas. If you eat too much, and your body pushes it through your system too quickly, the colon can't always absorb enough of the liquid and you end up passing loose or slimy stool, or diarrhea.

All that said, it might be something else, and you might want to get checked. What I've been doing for peace of mind is buying Fecal Occult Blood tests to make sure there isn't any hidden blood in my stool. You can go to like colonhealthcheck.com and get two tests for pretty cheap, and do them once a week or month or whatever you feel comfortable with. Watch your diet, be mindful of what you're eating, and keep a food and BM journal . That's what I do. It quickly became apparent garlic, cheese, pepperoni and raw onions do not agree with me and cause me no end of problems no matter what kind of foods they're prepared in.
|

replied April 27th, 2009
stage 4 cancer
now passing stones the size of a pea in the stole. cancer started in the lungs and spread to kidneys & bone marrow in the legs
|