Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

Passing hard stool ?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I have a hard stool I've felt at the end of my rectum that I cannot pass; first came across this two days ago. As of yesterday I've started to take stool softeners and drinking lots water and taking in fruits, vegetables, bran. Any other tips on how to make it pass (I have no problems getting an urge to go, so I haven't taken a laxative, just the stool softener) that isn't an enema, or do I have to resort to that? Thanks in advance for your help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2009
Intestinal Disorders Answer A6094
While I cannot give you specific medical advice over the Internet, you might try adding one or both of the following to your diet while you are awaiting further evaluation by your physician(s): Citrucel or Benefiber. If these are not helpful, then Miralax, used now and then, can be helpful for chronic constipation, as well. However, I would also advise that you undergo a complete work-up by a gastroenterologist to rule-out the possibility of any serious GI illnesses that might be contributing to your symptoms (it is, of course, impossible to make specific diagnoses, or to develop treatment plans for patients, over the Internet).

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Intestinal Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.