Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Pass gas very frequently

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
Hi There

I wonder if you can help with my very embarrassing wind problem. I pass gas very frequently and can't always feel or smell when I am passing it. Though, it can easily clear out a room I only know how bad by some rather hurtful comments that other people have made. I have been very windy for sometime and my gut is always making noises, sometimes this sounds like wind noises but they are coming from my gut. So far, I have been to the gastroenterologist who has done lots of test including gastroscopy, blood tests and a barium xray everything came back negative. I have completely changed my diet now - stick to veggies and max 2 pieces of fruit a day occasional white meat. Have porridge for bkfst to help regulate bm. I was constipated for years but now go once a day. Have noticed wind is worse if don't have a bm. Had 3 colonics since Dec. Had lots of faeces& inside. Are there any other tests I coul d have or things to try. Could an infection of the GI be cause of awful smell?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2010
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A12716
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the problem of flatulence.
Flatulence is the state of having excessive stomach or intestinal gas. This can result in uncomfortable feelings of bloating, as well as increased belching (burping) or passing of gas from the rectum.
Most people produce about 1-3 pints a day and pass gas about 14 times a day. Flatulence itself, although not life threatening, can definitely cause social embarrassment.
Excessive gas can be due to carbonated beverages, hyperventilation leading to swallowing of excessive air (aerophagia). Most foods that contain carbohydrates can cause gas. By contrast, fats and proteins cause little gas. These common foods and their natural components may create gas such as beans, starches(potatoes, corn, noodles, and wheat),onions, dark beer and red wine, sorbitol (found naturally in fruits including apples, pears, peaches, and prunes),soluble fiber found in oat bran, beans etc. Another major source of flatulence is lactase deficiency, which results in a decreased ability to digest lactose, a natural sugar found in milk and other dairy products such as cheese and ice cream and in certain processed food such as bread, cereal, and salad dressing.
If you are constipated or have decreased bowel function for any reason, flatulence can follow.
Alterations in bowel habits can be a result of poor dietary fiber, parasites, inflammatory bowel disease, intestinal obstruction (including cancer), diverticulosis or diverticulitis, poor thyroid function, narcotic and other drug use etc.
If no organic cause is found, the diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) shall be suspected.
You must consult your gastroenterologist to rule out the above causes with thorough investigations and for definitive diagnosis as the same cannot be made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.