Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Partial Brain Transplant

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
My question is serious. I have more than a bum body (Marfan’s Syndrome, 6 collapsed lungs, other forms of chronic pain) and have not-so-long to live.

I know how sci-fi it sounds, but I am interested in a partial brain transplant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole-body_tr ansplant#Partial_brain_transplant

I know about Dr. Robert White but I have no idea how to contact him or if he is still looking for “test” subjects.

I am looking for leads on any doctor who may be willing to perform such an operation, even experimentally, as I have nothing to lose at this point.

My ultimate objective is to organize a team of qualified individuals, provide them with sufficient funding for both their time and research, and finally perform the operation.

I am a 1-time American national chess champion, classical pianist, artist, small-time actor, prominent game programmer (I was a dev on Heroes of Might and Magic and Leisure Suit Larry), and soon-to-be author. I would really like a few more years to give back to the world all it has done for me.

I appreciate your serious consideration.

Thank you,
Mr. Smith
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 26th, 2011
transplant (partial brain transplant(Dr. Dorothy T. Krieger))
Dear Mr. Smith,
I personally am pursuing the same goal, have you found any leads. Yur answer would be greatly appreciated.
email me under dr(dot)alfred(dot)chade(at)googlemail(dot) com
I have searched high and low but have found nothing but vague reports and childish posts.
SIncerest regards
A.C.
|

I am afraid that I have found nothing. Only a suggest to be frozen until it becomes a medical reality.

Regards,
Mr. Smith
|

What is interesting that every report and every partial brain transplant experiment seems to have been a success!
SO why is it not medical reality, Id say it is.
And lets face it, freezing is not a real option as we have currently no way to make the defreeze and reanimation of the body work, maybe it will never really work.
Regards
DrAC
|

replied December 30th, 2011
I'm also really interested in the subject. I'm currently in the medical field but haven't found much about this except the successful experiments in mices. Any news please email ptlage(at)me(dot)com
|

replied June 5th, 2013
Partial brain transplant
I do not know if this thread is still being watch/read, but I am highly interested in the promise of partial brain implants. everything that i have read points towards a 90% chance of success in mice. and all that the procedure required was that the scientist implant the new brain tissue and then wait. the brain naturally connects itself to the new tissue and makes new neural pathways and nerves.
Now on a side note, did you know that the brain is the only "universal" organ in our bodies in regards to organ transplants. you see, with any other organ transplant (same blood type or not) the body knows that it is foreign and tries to attack it. with a "close match" organ and medications this can be controlled in some cases. The brain simply needs to be the same blood type. the brain will not tell the bodies defense system to attack itself.
If anyone is reading this please let me know. share information. I am trying to contact some in regards to this study.
|

replied September 2nd, 2013
I am also interested in a partial brain transplant for my daughter. She is a 24 weeker (in the sense that she was born at 24 weeks gestation) She has grade 4 IVH and it has caused about 75% of her brain to die out. She is 8 weeks old now and the doctors think that her brain is causing her blood pressure to be high and heartrate to be low. She is also on a lot of respiratory support (something that is gradually getting better) ihsvent096 said that the brain only has to be the same blood type, is that true? Her blood type is B+ and her father's is B-, that is basically a match right? How much brain would be needed? I know any serious operations would have to wait until she is older, bigger, and more stable but if we kept her alive is there hope that she will be able to get the transplant and be herself? Will she be whoever the donor was? Who can I contact about this. Dr.Krieger is the best name I've been able to pull up but she died. Who took over her research?
|