Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Paranoid schizophrenia meds

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
I was diagnosed paranoid schizophrenia when I was 23, i'm 29 now. When I was diagnosed I was experincing paranoid feelings that my family was out to get me. At the time I was using marijuana heavily and I was not leaving my apartment. since then I haven't had any paranoid thoughts but I've also been on meds since then so that could be why.

The reason why I'm posting is that I feel the meds are ruining my life. I feel like I'm operating at 50% all the time. I'm on abilify, 15mg, once a day which is the lowest dosage you can take. Is it possible for me to stop taking meds or did I ever need them in the first place. Please help, since my diagnosis my lifes a living hell.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2008
Did your doctors know how much marijuana you were smoking when they decided your diagnosis?
|

replied March 29th, 2008
They knew I was smoking marijuana, I don't think theyt knew how much.
|

replied March 31st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Do not abruptly halt your meds. Psychiatrist often see patients that use drugs. It is known as self medicating. Your meds are helping with the paranoid delsusions and possibly other symptoms of the disorder. Talk to the doctor and tell him about the cognitive side effects of the medication. Perhaps a dose change is in order. Your medication is helping more than you know. You are functioning, enjoying life free of paranoia, and sound stable. Going off your medication is going to cause your illness to spiral out of control and your life will go with it. Go back to your doctor and discuss your options.
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2008
Do you smoke a lot less marijuana now? Since marijuana is known to cause paranoia, I'm just wondering if this contributed to your feelings over paranoia when you were 23.

As the other poster suggested, discuss all of this with your doctor. Maybe smoking less marijuana also helped get your symptoms under control, and maybe he could change your medication to something less debilitating.
|
Quick Reply