Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Paranoia about dying (Page 1)

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
hi i am 20 yrs old an basically i wanna hear from a few pple who suffer frm anxiety/hypochondria to see if this is really how ur meant to feel or if there is something actually seriously wrong with me! i have seriously bad paranoia about dying and i always think each day is my last a while ago i was convinced i had a brain tumour the docters say no then i thought i had a heart condition an still actually do the docters say no i have been a&e so many times its ridiculous i used to have panic attacks bt i havent had a full blown one for over a year instead i am faced with this crippling fear every day everytime something is wrong with me or i get a bit sick im on the internet looking up the symtoms then crying cos u read abt serious stuff i get all kinds of physical things like chest pains palpations pain in my shoulder blades and back headaches shooting pains in head funny vision pains down my arms pins and needles theres loads more. Sometimes i have a period ov a few weeks an im ok then bang it comes bk again usually when i have read an article in a mag or seen something on telly bout someone being ill or something strange sometimes my head doesnt feel right like im not with it an im in this bubble an everyone is moving quickly around me sometimes i hear like buzzing in my ears. My moods flip 1 minute im ok the next i feel so depressed or sometimes i get soo worked up cos i think im going to die of some mysterious illness i just cry and cry i have been the docters over 20 times the past 6 months i have been a&e several times and no1 ever finds anything wrong i just want to be normal bt i cnt sleep very well or some nites im scared to sleep incase i dont wake up..does anyone else feel like this
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MilesR
|

replied January 8th, 2010
wat is the point ov this website wen not 1 person will at least have the decency to reply an try to help you!!
|

replied May 10th, 2010
i have the exact same problem. Sad i''m 15 and i went to the hospital a few months ago because i drank and energy drink and my heart rate was up to 150. ever since then i''ve been scared something is wrong with me and i''ll drop dead any minute. it drives me crazy. i can''t stand to be alone anymore and i can''t sleep because i''m scared i''m not going to wake up. your the only person i''ve been able to find who has the same problem as me.
|

replied May 10th, 2010
my fear is mostly that my kidneys and liver are going to fail. i'm always checking my gums and eyes to see if they're turning yellow since apparently thats a symptom of liver failure. i'm also scared that my heart will stop or i'll stop breathing. i've been getting the worst mood swings, i keep thinking that maybe i'm bipolar or schizophrenic. and i have yet to get check out by a doctor.
|

replied May 10th, 2010
my fear is mostly that my kidneys and liver are going to fail. i'm always checking my gums and eyes to see if they're turning yellow since apparently thats a symptom of liver failure. i'm also scared that my heart will stop or i'll stop breathing. i've been getting the worst mood swings, i keep thinking that maybe i'm bipolar or schizophrenic. and i have yet to get check out by a doctor.
|

replied May 24th, 2010
hi its nice to hear off you hun iv been getting desperate trying to find someone who knows how i feel...my big fear is my heart or a blood clot but it flips over to other things the only time i feel happy is wen im in perfect physical health if im even slightly ill from a cold i get really upset imaginig its going to turn into all kinds... i hqave has psychiatric evalutions since writing this...they say i have a serouis health related anxiety and im borderline ocd lol....i had a baby 6 weeks agoan since then i havent felt as ok as i have done in about 2 years i dont know wat it is i know i feel calmer tho but i still have my bad dayswere i get really worked up an upset terrified today is gonna be the day i die i dont really know how to try an help u because i cant even seem to help myself it comes an goes these bad feelins i hope u are ok an i am here anytime u want to talk about it x
|

replied May 25th, 2010
Saz...There is a disorder where your brain tricks your body into having pain that doesnt exist. Its really difficult to deal with because in your mind the pain is there but when you go to the doctor they talk to you like your crazy....totally sucks!

I'm not sure what treatmets they have for it but try looking up Somatoform or somataform disorder (I can't remember how to spell it)

Maybe becoming even more educated about it could help you figure out if there are triggers or something....
|

replied June 7th, 2010
were all going to take that step ive nealy died a few times in a wreck and a hemmorage but if you no jesus there is no fear when u close ure eyes he will be waitin with open arms
|

replied June 8th, 2010
beccabee thanks for rep[ly hun i will have a look ..past few weeks av been alrite agen an now i have bin hit by the anxiety again my hora scope says suttin about physically i know my own body an to listen to wat my mind is telling me so im totally paranoid now cos i have been have slight chest pains again an other things an now im convinced there is something wrong with me agen an im gettin quite upset now... its s hard to deal with sumtimes its hard to believe there nothing wrong with u wen u can feel so bad....
|

replied June 9th, 2010
wao!!! i thought i was the only one with condition in this freaking world i've been suffering it since i was 12 yr old im 23 now and still havent been able to overcome it... everyday is a night is a nightmare sometimes i come to the conclusion that i have use to live this forever=(
|

replied June 9th, 2010
You sound a lot like me. Just do what I do when i get a panic/anxiety attack. Sit yourself down and tell yourself that your having an anxiety attack. Nothing has changed and your not in any danger. You are a perfectly healthy 20 year old kid so there is no reason you will have a heart attack. You will probably live a very long time. Realize that you, for one, don't live forever. So ask yourself "do you really want to spend that worrying about something that is probably never going to happen?" Get busy living while you are not dying. And don't check symptoms. Any symptom taken out of context can lead you further down the road. I might also suggest getting a therapist or something to help you conquer these fears.
|

replied June 16th, 2010
hellothere hahaha no ur not definitly not like lol its a constant daily battle with me to fight the little fears an other things xx milesR i dont really have panic attacks to be honest i started out with them about2 a half years ago but i can usually ward them off now...i have a constant state of anxiousness were im afaraid upset snappy fidgetly ect ect.... i have been diagnosed with a health anxiety...well duhhh lol i am going to see a cognetive therapist tomorrow.
|

replied June 16th, 2010
some people get cured of their fear some dont...some live with it forever and nothing can help them over come it...like me, ive had a fear of dying for over 25 years and no doctor or shrink has been able to help me,my constant worry about health issues actually gives me health issues...stress over load
|

replied July 1st, 2010
do u ever get this feeling that something bad is going to happen like u just sense it..i keep sensing that iom going to die ery soon an it really scares me..
|

replied July 16th, 2010
I have a fear of being killed painfully. Like getting in a car accident, or getting murdered. Getting stabbed to death a bunch of times or getting chopped by an axe seems terrible. I always stress about things and it causes me to have bad stomach aches and I feel like i'm gonna throw up. Ever since I was a little girl, i'd get depressed and have stomach aches. I'd always get sick and have to go to the hospital
|

replied July 23rd, 2010
farmer2..i can relate to you but i fear death from disease an illness...n i really fear death full stop not knowing wat is going to happen..i often go hospital with chest pains ect ect...i am curently seeing a cbt therapist only had 2 sessions so we,ll see were it goes but it sounds to me like u shud see one to because u have a serious debilitating phobia an they can try an help you x
|

replied September 8th, 2010
i have the same problem, have a fear of death in general and sometimes think i'm going to die, like i had a coffee the other day and i was really hyper and giggling but at the back of my mind i was gettina anxious about dying and found it hard to breathe.......i also pretend to family that i'm really possitive about life (which I am most of the time) but just don't let on the fact i'm scared of death. Sometimes if i'm out on my own waiting for a trainor crossing the road, i'll randomly think of getting hit by a car or falling into the train track, or dropping my phone into the train track and imagining myself going on the train track to try and get my phone back in time before the train comes...these images are so vivid, but they don't happen too often. It's mainly a general fear of death of myself and loved ones and whats going to happen afterwards..glad to know i'm not alone.I think it's not 'normal' to feel like this, but it is very common so i guess in a way it is normal? and knowing that there are so many who think the same things, it should give us all comfort that we're not alone and we should just try and pre-occupy ourselves with things and seek comfort and hope in positive and wise people and find the strengh within ourselves to not let it take control of us. Good luck
|
Users who thank hannahf for this post: saz19 

replied October 11th, 2010
hannahf thats exactly how i get!!!!!! i wont take pro plus f i drink red bull i get scared an as for any kind ov mediction i just cant resist going to the label about side effects then i get to scared of taking the medicine with me if i get a tiny pain in my leg or head or chest or anything in fact i google it an peruse the internet obbsesivly then i get all upset an depressed an terrified because what the net has came up with an then i get terrified im goin to die then the symtoms get worse an woorse till eventually it reachs some kind ov pinnical then im alrite for a few weeks till something else happens somne tmes ui think i have such a fear ov death and the unknown such as is there life after death is there a god an leaving people behind my daughter ect ect i get scared i have a 6th sense that i am going to die young an thats why i fear dying so much because i am actually destined to die young....i wont make plans for the future cos i feel it tempts fate i weont do certain things i have my little rituals like havin my purse by the side ov the bed incase i need to get taxi to hospital or i need something i need an inhaler there incase i cnt breath an if its not there i wont settle sometimes i look at my tiny perfect daughter an feel like crying because i dont think im gon to see her grow up i try not to let it control me butt kind ov does... x
|

replied October 23rd, 2010
I HAD the same problem
I'm 16, and last year I had my first panic attack, out of nowhere. For the next 2 months I CONSTANTLY thought about my breathing, in fear I would stop. My bed became a negative place because that's where the panic attack occurred and when I had a battle to go to sleep every night, so I slept in different parts of the house. During those two months I had anxiety about every health flaw. I researched so many symptoms in fear there was something horribly wrong with me, from heart palpitations to the common flu, thinking it was swine flu. I even called the nurse toll free service repeatedly calling in my symptoms. I seriously had a case of OCD but somehow it wore off. I understand your pain though, I had such bad anxiety I couldn't do ANYTHING normally. I hope you get better, you may want to go to a physiologist. I didn't I just made myself stop because I realized the few moments of the day when I just conversated with people and had times that distracted me from my anxiety, nothing happened. It was all in my head.
|

replied November 1st, 2010
Hi,

Interesting to hear all these stories..I suffer from ectopic beats of the heart. Too much fun at University I think! I have this obsession where I sit at home listening to my heart beat and pulse...If I drink too much then the following evening I have anxiety attacks and think that I am going die and my heart is going to stop beating....

It drives me mad...

Recently my friends have said that a lot of them get the same thing. No-one likes talking about it, but the fact is that we all seem to get the attacks after a night out on alcohol or other things......

I have been to the doctor and he has said that the alcohol dimishes your neurological transmitors which effects how you think the following day, hence the problem.

I have tried not drinking or smoking, but they still come (both the ectopic beats and the panic attacks). It seems to me, that it is very much a state of mind, and it is the mind that controls how much you think about things like this..........

Hope this helps.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply