Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

Pap smears and yeast infections ?

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
I recently got a pap smear, but forgot to specify to my doctor to check for a yeast infection. That was my number one concern and it completely slipped my mind. What exactly is determined by a pap and would a yeast infection automatically be detected?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2010
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
The PAP smear is to detect abnormal cervical cells. It is a screening test that is done to rule out cervical cancer or pre-cervical cancer status.
If you had an east infection, your gynecologist would have recommended another test after the examination. What symptoms do you have at present? If you really suspect a yeast infection, then discuss with your gynecologist/treating doctor and request another test to confirm/rule it out .
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Yeast Infection , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.