Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Panic attacks while driving

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Has anyone had anxiety while driving? and if so, do you know any tips on how to over come this? It is ruining my eveyday life. Driving is somthing I cannot avoid, and I all think about when im driving is have another attack and therefore that leads into another one. Someone please help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 18th, 2008
Experienced User
When ever I feel tension driving, I will just pull over to the side of the road where ever I am and just have a cigarette break. Till I feel better then I will get back in the car and continue where I was going.

Driving can be stressful, I am bipolar and adhd so I am distracted and not a very safe driver, so I stress myself out because of my lack of attention to things.

I get distracted thinking all of the time. It is annoying.

Mybe you can go to the doctor and get Clonezapam that is what my doctor gave me for anxiety.
|

replied August 18th, 2008
DRIVING AND PANIC
YES, I DO HAVE PANIC WHILE DRIVING. I AM NOT A DRIVER DUE TO IT. I JUST CAN'T HANDLE DRIVING WITHOUT MAYBE PUTTING MYSELF OR OTHERS IN DANGER IN THE EVENT OF AN ATTACK. I JUST LIVE WITH WALKING, RIDING WITH OTHERS AND TAKING MASS TRANSIT. I DO SAVE QUITE A BIT, ON GAS, CAR PAYMENTS, PARKING, CAR REPAIRS AND KEEP HEALTHY BY WALKING. I GUESS ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD FOR ME.
|

replied August 21st, 2008
I recently had a panic attack while I was driving and had to pull over and have someone else drive me home because I was shaking and having trouble breathing and had a horrible migraine. I think you just have to take it day by day. I think it is all just in your head because no one can control your anxiety but you. I have looked into taking medicine but do not want to get stuck on it or have the side effects. looking into taking a class to help me.
|