Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Panic Attacks and Work

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi, new here.

I have a question on how people cope with panic attacks and working. I work as a waitress and constantly deal with customers. Iv been working with people ffor a good 3 years now, but on rare occasions my heart will start blasting out of my chest and i can feel it in my throat. my body gets hot and I just want to run away before i faint in front of them.
Thankfully, Iv been able to cut my presentations short and just walk away and go to the bathroom to cry. I come out and there is this weird aura. I feel dizzy and continue to work. Im quiet and it effects my tips and quality of work. Is there anyway I can stop this from happening to me again?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 18th, 2011
sounds more like anxiety attack than a panic disorder. do you have these attacks only at work or also while you are at home or by yourself? if not, it is just a mild form of anxiety from the crowds. you could ask your doctor for a mild benzodizepine such as xanax or lorazepam. you only have to use it when you are having an attack.
|

replied January 16th, 2012
Hi Solitary23, I was just diagnosed with panic disorder (meaning today!) and I have the same problem as you. I am a teacher and I experience the sweaty palms, heat wave feel, and loss of balance every once in a while. I am still working with a cardiologist and the general doctor to find some solutions. However, usually just laying down for 2-3 minutes helps relieve my symptoms. Also, I read on a blog somewhere that counting backwards from 100 can take your mind off the fact that you are panicking. I have not tried this but will try it next time. Please let me know if anything else works for you and we can compare results Smile
|