Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pancreas Disorders Forum

Pancreas Atrophic and largely fatty replaced

Must Read
Gastritis is a general term for stomach disorder. Learn more about types of gastritis, and the anatomy of the stomach in this basic intro to gastritis....
Gastritis occurs when the stomach lining becomes irritated and inflamed. But what can cause this medical condition? Are you at risk of this stomach disorder?...
Gastritis, or stomach inflammation, can be either acute or chronic. Learn how to tell the difference and know when to seek medical help by reading here....
I recently had a checkup and mentioned to the doctor that I occasionally have had a pain in my side below my ribs (right side) and sometimes back pain for about a year off and on. He had me do blood work and a CT scan the blood work came back all normal but the CT scan showed that the Pancreas is Atrophic and largely fatty replaced. The doctor seemed to be in a bit of a hurry explained it to me then had me sign a something. He told me not to drink and don’t eat fatty foods. I can’t seem to find any information about largely fatty replacement. Has anyone else had this diagnostic? I am not over weight; I don’t smoke (although I did when younger) and don’t drink often. I also am not diabetic and have had no pain for the last two months. I am very concerned about the state of my Pancreas and if it will get worse. Should the CT scan have showed the percentage of damage?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper arrranger
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2010
As you have already mentioned the two most common causes of fatty atrophy of the pancreas (obesity and chronic diabetes), it may be difficult to ascribe any specific cause to the findings on your CT scan. Also, since I cannot review your CT scan images, I really cannot speculate as to whether or not other specific illnesses might have played a role in these observed changes. More importantly, if you do not have diabetes, and you do not have any clinically significant pancreatic enzyme deficiencies (and, based upon the information that you have provided, this would seem unlikely), then the CT scan findings that you mentioned may not have any clinically important relevance at all.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied May 19th, 2010
pancreatic atrophy also but with DD
hello doc- i am a 54 yr old white askenazi jewish background post galbladder gone for 19 yrs now. had high lipase and CA-19 =38, doc did a scope on me was neg for biopsy in dodenum/stomach, but found on ct scan/ w barium and iv contrast:
2.0 cm diverticulim in the 3rd portion of my duodenum. also found pancreatic head was atrophied half what it should be, body/tail seemed normal. also, findings were small infiltrate within the anterior basal segment of the lower left lobe of lung, no pancreatic cysts or pseduo cysts, i have a small hiatal herina. some collaterlization of vessels to the medial aspect of the spleen.
lost some 50 pounds within 9 months w/o even trying. back is constantly itchy, i mean to point i could scratch it all day long and still not feel better.
not jaundiced no diaherra. but can not digest ANY canned foods, fatty foods, whatosever. mother had celiac sprue onset aged 64. i tested neg for that. may have sjogrens.
ANA titers a few yrs ago were high 1;80 but rhuemy thought nothing of it. now do i have an auto immune disease which is chewing away at my pancreas now? dont smoke/drink for 14 yrs now.
all the other stuff seemed to be normal on the ct scan like kidneys, liver, adrenals and no ductal dilatation in those organs. what do you think? i got a doc who wants to biospy and do a EUS next month tofind out what is chewing up the head of pancreas. could it be shpincter of oddi that is clogged and backing everything up to make the head of my pancreas atrophy? thanks nervous nellie here
|

replied May 19th, 2010
pancreatic atrophy also but with DD
hello doc- i am a 54 yr old white askenazi jewish background post galbladder gone for 19 yrs now. had high lipase and CA-19 =38, doc did a scope on me was neg for biopsy in dodenum/stomach, but found on ct scan/ w barium and iv contrast:
2.0 cm diverticulim in the 3rd portion of my duodenum. also found pancreatic head was atrophied half what it should be, body/tail seemed normal. also, findings were small infiltrate within the anterior basal segment of the lower left lobe of lung, no pancreatic cysts or pseduo cysts, i have a small hiatal herina. some collaterlization of vessels to the medial aspect of the spleen.
lost some 50 pounds within 9 months w/o even trying. back is constantly itchy, i mean to point i could scratch it all day long and still not feel better.
not jaundiced no diaherra. but can not digest ANY canned foods, fatty foods, whatosever. mother had celiac sprue onset aged 64. i tested neg for that. may have sjogrens.
ANA titers a few yrs ago were high 1;80 but rhuemy thought nothing of it. now do i have an auto immune disease which is chewing away at my pancreas now? dont smoke/drink for 14 yrs now.
all the other stuff seemed to be normal on the ct scan like kidneys, liver, adrenals and no ductal dilatation in those organs. what do you think? i got a doc who wants to biospy and do a EUS next month tofind out what is chewing up the head of pancreas. could it be shpincter of oddi that is clogged and backing everything up to make the head of my pancreas atrophy? thanks nervous nellie here
|

replied February 16th, 2011
That is very interesting. I also have had my gall bladder out many years ago and am presenting now with atrophying of the pancreas with fatty deposits. I have mild pain upper abdomen on the left side under the bottom of the ribs. They found it with a ct scan with dye. I am obese. How does obesity cause this? GingerV
|

replied May 11th, 2012
atrop pancreas update
update on amysworried. 2 yrs later 2.o cm ulcer in duodenum bleeder into gut w/occult blood and loads of diverticulim. now on creon replacement digestive enz. pancreas getting worse.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pancreas Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.