Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

Palm rash, eye infections, stiff joints, fatigue. syphilis?

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
Hello, about 6 months ago I went to the doctor for a rash on the palm of my hands. The spots were not at all raised and appeared as small red spots under the skin on my palms and fingertips. The rash gave me the sensation of pins and needles. After a couple weeks my palms began to peel extremely bad, Making them not quite raw, but sensitive in areas. The first couple times this happened I treated myself for a fungal infection before giving up and making and appointment.
The doctor told me the only thing it could be was syphilis. He treated me with antibiotics and a shot. He also took blood and urine tests.
2 weeks later the test results came back negative. But the palm rash disappears completely. Upon hearing this news and the rash disappearing I went on with life and didnt look further into it.
Now the rash has reappeared and with the reappearance has helped me realize that other symptoms I had been having prior to the rash may be connected.
Im getting eye infection just as I was about the time of the first incidence. The initial diagnosis was that my contacts were just dirty causing the infection. Also I have been feeling extreme joint discomfort and body fatigue. I ignored this as much as I could the first time the symptoms arose putting it off as exhaustion from work. Im now working a job that requires me to be much less physical and the symptoms have returned with a vengeance. I am an avid hiker and disc golfer. I was generally out 3 or 4 times a week before this began but the fatigue and joint discomfort (especially in my knees) has brought my activities to a halt and began to make me miserable. Also my bowels are quite irregular. These symptoms may or may not be connected but I am becoming increasingly convinced that they are.
Could the tests have been incorrect and the doctor right? Im still dating the same woman. She took the antibiotics, but never got the shot due to the news of the test results.
If anyone knows what is wrong with me I would LOVE some advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 20th, 2011
I failed to mention the lymph nodes under my chin on the right side swelling up.
|

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
xocjosh,

It is true that there are not many things that cause a red rash in the palms. Syphilis and meningitis are two, but another is Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (which is transmitted by a tick bite).

However, with the joint problems and eye problems, you might have Reiter's syndrome, which is an inflammatory arthropathy.

You might want to see a rheumatologist or an immunologist.

Good luck.
|

replied May 7th, 2012
xocjosh,

Any update? I am having similar issues...
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2012
i do have also the same condition but it's a little different from yours. yes i got red blotches on my palm that dont itch. you might ask on how they appear. the answer is i dont know. but that's not the only part that is appears. mostly on my upper chest and arms up to my shoulder and sometimes even in all parts of my body. they appear in different circumference. im really getting paranoid of it. if already have my check up ill inform you about it.
|

replied May 16th, 2013
Did any of you find out what caused this? I have same problem
|

replied June 29th, 2013
Have you checked for hiv?
|