Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Pains under both sides of rib cage

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
This started out with pains on the left side and felt like there was something stabbing into my stomach itself, not just the abdomen. I had the scope a couple of yars ago so the doctor did not think it was necessary to do it again. I have acid reflux and take prevacid twice daily, the gastroenterologist also told me that my stomach cannot process grease. I have had everything scanned except for my stomach, I have tried every kind of stomach meds, but tolerate Prevacid better. Now that this paini is on both sides I am very concerned. Has anyone else experienced this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 18th, 2012
I have had the same problem for the last 7 months, it happened at work when lifting, so everyone thought it was a hernia or pulled muscle. Dr gave me ibuprofin and sent me to work after an mri showed no hole in muscle. I recently went back and he is recommending an ultrasound to check for a tumor. Im currently trying to get insurance started before it gets put in my med record and i cant get it, but im hoping ill get my scan in a week or two, ill keep you posted
|

replied June 18th, 2012
Thanks, I would like to know what your results are. I have had everything scanned, they thought that it was my pancreas, then gall bladder, then liver. It was none of that. I have told them all along that I think it is in my stomach because sometimes it hurts if I drink something hot.
|

replied July 9th, 2012
Well, took a while, but I found out my liver doubled in size because of a recent change in diet. It was pushing on all of my insides and causing the pain and nausea.
|

replied July 11th, 2012
gerd
lowcountryjudi - sounds like my symptoms - right under the rib cage is where the LES is at - the Lower Oesophageal Sphincter, the valve at the top of your stomach. So likely GERD. See http://chriskresser.com/what-everybody-oug ht-to-know-but-doesnt-about-heartburn-gerd
Its a very good article
|

replied February 24th, 2013
I have a pain in my left side under ribs and on my right aswell also tjet pain on left rises up under my ribs I was told I have a ulcer is that a normal pain to be experiencing and I have a horse shoes kidney and the pain generally feels like its in that area
|