Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Pains like being pricked with needles

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I have been having pains like needles being pricked over my whole body. Along with this dizziness, light headed, stomach upset. Also, I feel like my heart is racing fast. Something is not right could you give me some tips.. I have a physical set up for Nov. 14, but was wondering if different kind of blood work should be done rather than the normal for physicals.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
hossden,

Unfortunately, the symptoms you describe can be caused by several different things. But, one thing you might consider is that of an anxiety or panic attack. The racing heart rate, feeling light headed, and the whole body pins and needles are classic symptoms.

The whole body pins and needles is usually caused by hyperventilation. Especially when it is episodic. Pins and needles sensation can be caused by systemic disease processes like diabetes, but this has a specific progression. It starts usually in the feet, progressing to the hands over months to years. Though it can affect the whole body, it is not common. The whole body pins and needles, all at once, is usually due to hyperventilation. But, it could be something else.

Patients do not have to be stressed out or hyper to have anxiety/panic attacks. You do not even have to have stress in your life. There is usually a trigger, but sometimes the trigger is hard to figure out.

So, during the physical examination, the physician will look at the most common causes which is the neurological system, the heart, and do some blood tests to look for diabetes and other common metabolic disorders. But, don't be surprised if nothing is found. If something is, it can be addressed. But, if nothing is found, then you have to start looking at the circumstances in which these episodes occur. If you can, try to keep a journal or jot down what is going on when they occur. What makes them worse/better. What you do to help make the symptoms go away. Any changes in lifestyle recently. And anything else that seems pertinent. The more information the physician has the better.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?