Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Painless lump back of neck

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I have a hard lump on the back of my neck, left side, a little below the hair line. It doesn't hurt when pressed, and isn't tender at all. It has been there about 3 weeks. I have also started having headaches, which is very rare for me. I don't know if I should be concerned or just wait and see what happens. Has this happened to anyone else, or any ideas? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 15th, 2010
I am having the same exact problem...and just recently I am starting to get migraines that hurt so bad, they make me feel nauseous. I too have a lump on the right side of the back of my neck, just below the hairline.
|

replied November 16th, 2010
Some lumps are simply "trigger points". You can read about trigger points online - they're points of nerve endings that become inflamed due to injury, stress or overuse. They can trigger muscle spasm and pain - headaches that can feel like migraines because they tend to be one-sided (and painful).

Trigger point treatments like ultrasound (including home ultrasound like Sonic Relief) can help immensely - you simply treat over the area when the pain flares up. It's drug free. Acupuncture works similarly as does EMS or TENS.
Of course, see your doctor too... especially with lumps. But your condition seems very much like trigger points - particularly with it's placement below the hairline. You'll know if you press it for sometime or apply ice and slowly releasing - if you feel relief, you could definitely benefit from home use ultrasound.
|