Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Painful swelling in right index knuckle

Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
Hello Everyone,

I have Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism. I get swelling on my right index finger knuckle occasionally which is very painful.

I get this swelling overnight and it starts paining bad during night itself. Today, when I woke up, the swelling was so bad that I could not bend my index finger at all due to swelling in the knuckle. Also, I see some redness on my index knuckle which I think is due to the swelling.

By occasionally, I mean once in a month or so. But, this time, it got pretty bad.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 10th, 2012
Hashimoto's and knuckle swelling
I also have Hashimoto's and experience this problem. I would wake up with the middle knuckle on my left swollen and stiff and hurting. This would last a couple days and happen about once a month. This began two years ago. It has now progessed to being constantly swollen and stiff. It's just a matter of how badly it is that day. Some days its only swollen with no pain, other days I can't even move my finger without great pain. Ibprofin usually helps to gain a little bit of mobility, but thats it. I went to the doctor about a year ago and he did x-rays and ran all my blood work (testing for RA and Lymes) and everything came back perfectly fine. My TSH levels have always been in the normal range since I began medication. If anyone has any information on this, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Sorry I couldn't help you health_conscious, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one this is happening too.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply