Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

painful spasms post gallbladder removal

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
My daughter is 21 and had her gall bladder removed in December 2007 (age 19 at the time). There were no gallstones - tests indicated a nonfunctioning gallbladder and the doctor who removed it said it looked like a gallbladder he would normally remove from an 80 or 90 year old patient. Surgery and recovery were uneventful until one week post surgery. Around 6:00 am one week after surgery, when she was awakened by what she described as "an elephant sitting on her chest." She was having difficulty breathing and said she was in significant pain. The "spasm" for lack of a better word, passed, and she didn't have another one for several weeks. We did call the surgeon and he said that if she had another one that he would need for her to see a gastroenterologist. Over the past two years, these spasms have continued - sometimes going for as long as 5 months without one occuring - and then she will have two or three on successive days. They most commonly wake her in the middle of the night or early morning hours - and usually last from 5 to 15 minutes. During that time, breathing is difficult and she experiences significant pain. We've also noticed that these episodes seem to occur after a day that involved more stress than usual. In looking on the Internet, I've noticed that it does not seem uncommon for these types of spasms to occur post gall bladder removal. Any ideas? I would appreciate any help anyone could give. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sooz0503
|

replied January 26th, 2010
Experienced User
I had my gallbladder removed at 19. The radiologist came out after reading my ultrasound and began looking all around. Finally,he called my name, I acknowledged him and he said he was looking for someone much, much older. After my gallbladder was remoed I got occassional spasms similiar to what you describe. They had missed a stone in my common bile duct. I had a procedure done to open the duct and it passed. Immediately after the procedure ERCP I got pancreatitis. I don't know if that helps. I know that they are supposed to check the ducts for stones but perhaps back then (I'm 40) it wasn't as thourough.
Let me know how it comes out. Best wishes.
|

replied March 12th, 2010
I have and ejection fraction of 97% but still suffer bouts of gallbladder pain. I suffered acute vitamin d poisoning and was gravely ill.
I have been doing some research and have come up with connections between vitamin d, gallbladder, melatonin and calcium. Some of the topics I've read involving calcium and the gallbladder are: Limy bile, porcelain gallbladder, UV exposure and incidence of gallstones and mixed-type gallstones. It is my belief that the gallbladder plays a very important role in the body to do with calcium metabolism/buffering/regulation.
Try a magnesium only supplement and start at low doses. It should take several days if it's going to work for you.
|

replied May 10th, 2011
did she take any painkillers with codiene in it before the attacks?? I had my gallbladder removed when i was 20 and a few months after the surgery i took codiene and it caused the same spasms. it was agonizing. TELL HER NEVER TO TAKE ANYTHING WITH CODIENE IN IT
|

replied November 4th, 2011
I have the same symptoms they come and go as you described like an elephant sitting on my chest and spasms. I got my gallbladder out when I was 19 I am 23 now, I had mine taken out for gallstones.Still having pain I have seen a gastrologist but they did no tests no help what so ever.I'm going to see about seeing if they missed a stone in the bile duct.Other doctors I've seem told me I should have never got that certain doctor to do my surgery he was unexperenced how was I supposed to know...I recommend always do a backround check before going into surgery God Bless and I hope you find what is wrong If you do please post thanks
|

replied September 19th, 2013
Experienced User
Twitching, after a week from my gallbladder surgery I feel twitching around my incision and I thought first it is my colon but still not sure. If you have any experience please let me know soon.
Thanks.
|