Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Painful Rib Cage

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
This is the second time this has happened to me. I have severe pain in what feels like my rib cage. I cant seem to get any relief from the pain. I am also vomiting due to this. Can you please tell me what is causing this and how i can stop the pain and stop it happening again.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 24th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You haven't mentioned which part of the rib cage was painful, or if the pain is located just below the one side of the rib cage.
Also, it is important to known if there were some additional symptoms.
If the pain was very sudden and severe, located under the left rib cage, radiating to the back, lasting for days, accompanied with nausea, vomiting, rapid heart beat, sweating, could be a pain due to pancreatitis.

See your physician!
|

replied September 28th, 2009
if the pain is in ceter of the rib cage then it must be a gastroesophageal reflux and you must take some antacid as there is also a vomitting
otherwise it can also be a simple myalgia and diclofenac sodium will work for it but i suggest u to get ur endoscopy done if there is pain in cage and vomitting
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
same problem....starts with a deep "hot" feeling under my ribs and spreads up, down and to my back. not like acid hot, it's different. like a hot air bubble is caught or like my insides have all been pushed upward. i feel like i need to reach inside under my ribs and pull something down. i try deep breathing...sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. can last 20 minutes. about the time i feel like i need to call 911, it subsides. lay in bed and roll back and forth, stretching my back then curling my body up. i try to get up and walk, that only makes it worse. it only happens like 2x a year, but very painful. had gallbladder removed in 93. had an endoscopy that showed nothing. drs tell me it doesn't happen often enough to do anything about. i've been dealing with it off and on tonight for about 1hr. it usually comes on, then subsides and i'm done for months, but tonight it has come and gone 3 times already. had to get my husband to beat on my back. very frustrating. can't find a connection with foods that have been eating that may cause it. it has happened morning, noon or middle of the night...not always at the same time of day.
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
oh, i haven't ever thrown up...it's not a sick like that....just a real bad pain.
|
Quick Reply