Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Painful lump near anus

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi! I have a lump near the top of my anus and is very painful..I have been enduriing the pain for 4 days now..I cant sleep, it is uncomfortable to sit and even walk. At first I thought it was Hemorrhoid, but then i checked it visually it was just a lump about the size of a coin and its a bit hard when i press on it and is very painful. It doesnt have an eye on it. I will be very greatful if somebody could tell me what it is and what can i do to remedy it.

pray pray
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper OYABAX
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
What's the color of this lump?
Is it located at your anal opening?
Do you have problems with your bowel movements?

Try to see if sitting in a warm bathtub several times a day for 15-20 minutes, will relief your pain.
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: OYABAX 

replied October 24th, 2008
First of all, Thank you for replying to my post.
It is the same color of my skin on that area. its more like a blister in size and in form. The pain is continuous 24/7. It is located near my anal opening...more less 1cm from it..no eye like what you see from boils. Im only having problems with my bowel movement when i sit at the toilet seat and when control the muscle to push the feces out. Ive tried Doing the hotsitz bath...but i get only minimal relief, after a few minutes the excruciating pain comes back again. Been sleeping only for 3-4 hours per day with the help of over the counter painkillers. I wish you could give some idea on this. I have a doctors appointment on monday and im planning to have it surgically removed. because i cant take it much longer.
|

replied October 25th, 2008
Ive researched and checked out some forums...is this some kind of blood blister? Will Numbing ointments help relieve some the pain?
|

replied October 28th, 2008
Hi MandMs...and Thank you!
I finally got rid of the hell raising pain. I had my surgery yesterday, it was rectal abcess as what the doctor said. I just have to endure with the post op pain then im back to normal life again. Thank you again for your reply to my post.
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!
Sorry I didn't check the topic earlier.
I'm glad you got your problem fixed.

Do you have some inflammatory intestinal disease or diabetes?
|

replied November 2nd, 2008
No i dont have either of both...Do you have any info on the causes of rectal abscess and how to prevent it. I dont want it back in my life again...LOL
|

User Profile
replied November 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Most cases of perianal abscesses (abscesses close to anal opening) are sporadic, though there are certain situations which elevate the risk for developing the disease, the ones I already mentioned, diabetes, Crohn's disease, steroid use that suppress the immune system.
Timely and appropriate treatment is most important to avoid relapses and complications.
Try to avoid constipation, use gentle techniques to clean the anal area, wash the anal area after every bowel movement, and keep the area dry.
|

replied July 30th, 2009
Very painful lump near anus
hi,

i have similar pain, but i looked at the symptoms and i don't think it is an abscess, it is red and very sore. Is there anything I can do to reduce the pain and get rid of the lump/spot.
|

replied September 3rd, 2009
alfie0000,
Maybe I'm late 'gettin' to ya....but what you may have had is a 'pilonidal sinus' problem. I had a very sore swelling...that got worse over a short period. It was located at upper left cheek....about 2 inches from the 'opening'. My white-cell blood count was 'through-the roof' when I presented to the A+E...and my buttock was swollen rock-hard also....very painful!
They operated and excised (dug-out) and drained the area....and I had to have the 'hole' plugged and cleaned regularly for a few weeks after. Not a pleasant experience...but necessary...especially when it 'balloons-up'...as the poison could go into your system. If it is pilonidal -sinus prob you have/had...it may or may not recur....the main thing post procedure...is to keep the area ultra clean. I personally clean it with 'betadine' every day....and cover area with a med-patch. 'Betadine' may come under many names....but it's similar to the 'wash' that surgeons may use...prior to ops.
Sorry again for delay...hope it works out for you....remember...any swelling like that is your body telling you to go to doc/A+E quickly. Good luck!
|

replied October 17th, 2011
Anal pain
Hi there was wondering if u guys could help me. I have the lump just on the outside of my anus about the size of a kidney bean but a bit bigger and it hurts when I do anything and everything. Especially Wjen needing to poo. I've had this for about 3 days now and the pain just gets worse. I don't know what to do. I haven't got much time at the moment to see a dOctor but is it that important that I should? I get these about once a month too so it's pretty common but this is the worse I've had it.
Please help me!!
|

replied October 17th, 2011
Hi there was wondering if u guys could help me. I have the lump just on the outside of my anus about the size of a kidney bean but a bit bigger and it hurts when I do anything and everything. Especially Wjen needing to poo. I've had this for about 3 days now and the pain just gets worse. I don't know what to do. I haven't got much time at the moment to see a dOctor but is it that important that I should? I get these about once a month too so it's pretty common but this is the worse I've had it.
Please help me!!
|

replied November 6th, 2011
I have discovered a small lump right on the opening of my anus.

It is about the size of a pea and looks almost blue or black in colour.

It feels exactly the same as a pea solid behind the skin covering it.

I am extremely worried as I dont know what it is. It is very sore, especially when passing stools.

My mum died of cancer of the colon 5 years ago and had all kinds of problems with rectal and stomach illnesses.

Do you know what it could be?
Answer

Yes, I am sure I know what this is from your excellent description, and it is nothing to do with cancer and not serious.

I am sorry to hear about your mum. I can understand why you are worrying.

What you describe is a perianal haematoma, or external pile. Despite this name, it is not actually a pile at all, but is really like a blood blister such as you get on your thumb if you trap it or hit it with a hammer.

What causes a blood blister in this situation is that when the bowels are opened the anus stretches, and sometimes a tiny blood vessel will rupture and cause a leak of blood just under the skin.

It raises a pea-sized swelling right on the margin of the opening of the anus. It is very tender at first, because the skin is stretched over it in this very sensitive region, and when it is further stretched by passing a stool, it is even worse.

Most of these haematomas do not need any treatment. I expect that by the time you read this, yours is already getting more comfortable.

In time it will become pain free, and then it will slowly start to shrink in size, but it may be a few weeks before it disappears altogether.

When they are very large they can be excruciatingly painful and sometimes it is better to carry out a small procedure to let the blood out to relieve the pain. I am sure this will not be necessary in your case.

One other thing to mention is that sometimes as it is getting better, the thin skin over the blood blister bursts, and some very dark coloured bits of blood may be seen. If this happens, don't worry.

Just keep the area scrupulously clean and it will soon stop bleeding and heal up.

There is one more thing I am going to mention, although you have not asked about it. You are only 20, so I guess your mum was only relatively young when she had bowel cancer.

I am not trying to make you worried here, but I feel I should mention, if you do not know this already, that some forms of colon cancer can be hereditary.

This does not mean that you are going to get it, but the chances may be a little higher for you than the rest of the population.

If your doctor has not mentioned this to you, then there may be nothing to worry about, but I think you should ask your mum's doctor about what sort of colon cancer she had.

Remember in future that if you get bowel symptoms like diarrhoea alternating with constipation, bleeding from the rectum, passing mucus, or weight loss, you should always mention this family history to the doctors.

Please don't let this cause you undue anxiety, but I thought I should just mention it.

Yours sincerely

The NetDoctor Medical Team
|

replied February 6th, 2012
need help!!
Im 21 years old, and i cant stand this pain. Its hard to walk sit and even sleep. I havent gone to get it checked out yet cause im too scared. Its right the the left on my anus and its not connecting to it. Its about 3 inches long, really hard and kind of feels like its bumpy or has rings when i touch it. Its pretty much the same color as me skin just a bit redder. This pus sometimes a lil bloody looking stuff leaks out daily :/ someone help asap
|

replied May 24th, 2012
I am having what I assume as rectal abcess. During Christmas I has extreme pain around my anus. I assumed it was my hemoriod infected.. I have no medical insurance and so I went to urgent care and the gave me 500mg keflex 3 times a day, they said it was a cyst thing. It ended up draining and feeling a lot better. It then it started to fill up and become painful again. For now almost 6 months usuly once a week it fills up and then drains. I have no health insurance and want to know what I can do to help it heal and stop filling up. There is green mucus and clear with blood. It doesn't smell to bad just not sure what to do please help.
|

replied September 13th, 2012
help! lump (painful) non flesh colored near vagina and anus
Please help.
About 2 days ago I discovered a small bump (about bean sized) near the same area - vaginal and closer to the anus. It was flesh colored then and no pain at all but today it's more prominent and has become a darker flesh colored and tinted with blue ish purple. It is now very painful and hurts to sit or walk or touch it. I am very worried it is something serious.. I have a compromised immune system already due to my asthma being very severe and I got this lump around the same time I was hit with a very terrible and fast acting cold. I'm worried they might be connected! Please tell me what this is or if I should go to a doctor now. I'm 18, a complete virgin. Never shave or anything like that.. Help
|

replied June 15th, 2013
No Worries If it looks like a blood blister that's probably just
Well I have the same thing you guys do It doesn't really hurt at all I suspect if you wait a little while It'll go away Damn things affecting my life Don't be scared though I know I'm not I've heard it could take a couple weeks for it to go away Maybe even a month Think of it as a blister that you get Under your nail when you smash your finger
|

replied June 15th, 2013
If it gets too painful though Recommend see a doctor And if It doesn't look like it's a blood blister then it could be like a hemorrhoid or something Sometimes hemorrhoids can be pushed out of the anus and it looks like it'll be coming from inside of the anus not the at the opening from what you describe it just sounds like a blood blister though.
|