Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Painful lump knee

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
For the past month, I have had a painful lump on the outer side of my right knee that keeps getting bigger. I want to say it's on the joint line, but I'm not entirely sure. The skin below it is extremely itchy and feels like it's burning, and two of my toes feel numb. Standing all day at work probably doesn't help any, but should I go to the doctor or what?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Does this lump change its size with knee flexion/extension?
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
No.
|

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Lumps located in and around the knee are usually benign.
When this lump is located along the joint line on lateral aspect of knee, the lump is indicative for meniscal cyst, due to meniscal tear (menisci are pads of cartilaginous tissue which serve to disperse friction in the knee joint between the lower leg (tibia) and the thigh (femur)).
This can result from certain trauma in knee area.
|

replied July 6th, 2009
Hi I have the same issue, but my bump does change size when I extend my leg from the sitting position. Any ideas?
|
Quick Reply