Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

painful lump in side of breast / under armpit

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
I'm 16, and last night noticed a quite large (size of a 20p at least) painful lump in the side of my breast/ under my armpit. It's becoming increasingly painful especially to touch and now, just as I'm sitting normally. The pain feels like a deep bruising under the skin, with NO redness or anything on the skin surface yet I can slightly see the shape change from the lump. Please tell me whether this is something normal, or the likely hood of it being something serious such as cancer?
I know I should probably go to the doctors but it's incredibly embarrassing. :s
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Dr. Robert Wascher
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2011
Breast cancer in adolescents is enormously rare. Lymphoma must always be considered with enlargement of the lymph nodes, although in the vast majority of such cases, lymph nodes that are enlarged due to lymphoma are not significantly painful.

While this painful lump is not highly likely to be related to cancer, as I cannot examine you, it is best to have your doctor take a look, just to be on the safe side.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breast Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.