Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Painful Hiccups

Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
Usually, at least ten times a day I will hiccup and it will be painful, but it's not a case of "chronic hiccups' as every says, it's one or two and then nothing until the next time it happens, a couple of hours later. It's gotten to the point that sometimes I taste food that I ate a while ago after one (sorry, gross, I know), or sometimes I have to force whatever comes up down. Now it's beginning to hurt more and it's really bothering me, and I don't know what to do. I know that I'm at risk for acid reflux, but no one seems to think that the two are connected - at least, from school health services.

Right now, my chest hurts with a burning as does my throat and I can't drink anything except water without it hurting. When I hiccup it always freaks everyone out because they are loud and resounding and high pitched. It really does hurt and I don't really know what's wrong. Any help would be useful... I wonder if I do really have acid reflux...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 8th, 2012
Experienced User
Your hiccups are definitely producing reflux but what's causing the hiccups?
It is a violent muscular spasm generated when the stomach touches the diaphragm. Your persistent hiccups need to be investigated.
It could be you need to lose weight? Perhaps you are overfilling your stomach?
For now, follow all the GERD advice about eating small portions frequently, avoiding fatty foods, not bending or lying down after eating etc. and see if that helps.
Otherwise, your doctor may be able to prescribe a muscle relaxant.
|

replied December 8th, 2012
I do not need to lose weight. I spent my summer at an eating disorder recovery clinic. I had the hiccups even when I wasn't eating much at all, so I don't know...
|

replied February 11th, 2013
i have had the same issue for over a year, usually just hiccups. Recently the hiccups have led to regurgitation. my gastro DR. diagnosed this as eosinophilic esophagitis. Hope this helps
|