Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

pain 2 years after pelvic fracture

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I'm an 18 year old girl and 2 years ago I fractured my pelvis in five places in a snowmobile accident. When I walk or do anything my hips make a popping/clicking/ crunching sound and it can be painful. Sometimes it feels like somethings pinched also, especially when I wake up and it can be extremely painful. It sounds and feels like the bones are grinding together. I almost always need help when getting up off the floor, and sometimes have trouble supporting weight and climbing stairs. Driving more than thirty minutes can become painful, and my hip (mainly my right one though there were fractures on both sides) becomes painful and sore to the point where I'll actually have to pull over for awhile. My hips will frequently cramp up out of nowhere. If I sleep on either side for too long with even slight pressure on either hip it will cause a lot of pain. after the accident I was brought to the hospital (I also had a pretty bad concussion). I was kept overnight because of the concussion and in the morning they let me go home and told me I could walk, they didn't recommend a walker or crutches or anything. The pain is interfering with my job sports and life in general. Is there anything I can do about this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi Kate117 and welcome to ehealth: That was a very serious injury...I think you are lucky to be doing as well as you are...Maybe rest will help it...In many ways you should be happy that it was not worse...If I were you I would talk to my physician or Therapist...Find out from them what exercises may help...Either way, you are doing great...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied December 16th, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I've posted on several forums looking for some help and this is the first reply I've gotten. Do you think this may go away on its own (it doesn't seem to be) or may it need some sort of treatment to get better? Also could this cause worse problems in the future?
|

User Profile
replied December 16th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi again Kate: IMO, by only speaking to someone who has gone through the same thing that you are going through would this person be able to answer your question...From my experience with my husband on both hip and knee replacements, as well as two shoulder surgeries, I know that it improved over time...However, I do know that when you wake up that it seems like every muscle in your body has gone to sleep and the pain that you go through makes you aware of this...Hopefully over time it will get better...This may be something you want to speak about with your Orthopedist or Therapist...Either way, good luck and do take care...

Caroline
|