Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

Pain worse 3 weeks after breaking 5th metertarsal

Hi

Just wondering if any one could just confirm if my pain is normal?

3 weeks ago I broke the base of my 5th metertarsel wearing heels, not something i reguarly do as i normally wear trainers, but it was boxing day Smile I was in a temp cast for a week then an aircast for the last 2 weeks, I have another 3 weeks left in it.

For the last week and a half I have had lots of pain in the area of my break and under my foot under my toes. Also my ankle is quite sore, my ankle doesn't bother me as much as the break area and under my toes

Should there be this much pain? Is it normal?

I am also in the uk if that matters?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
pandaspot,

No, usually, fractures gradually decrease in pain, as time goes on. By three weeks, there should be enough callus formation to make the bone ends "sticky", and thus not be moving around.

If you have increased your activity recently, that could cause some increased discomfort in the soft tissues around the fracture site.

The ankle discomfort is probably coming from the ankle being immobilized. If you are allowed to do so, you may want to take the fracture brace off and do ankle range of motion. But, do this only if allowed by the surgeon.

However, you really should not be having a lot more pain directly at the fracture site, it in fact, should be decreasing. So, you may want to contact your orthopedic surgeon. He/she may need to do an x-ray, to see how the bone is healing. It may be that you are going on to a delayed union. Sometimes, with certain 5th metatarsal fractures, they just do not heal, and have to have surgery to be fixed with a screw or plate/screws.

So, again, if your pain is significant or increasing, you may want to contact your surgeon. Good luck.
|
Users who thank Gaelic for this post: pandaspot 

replied January 18th, 2012
Hi

Thanks for the quick reply, I have finally got a number for the fracture clinic so will ring them in the morning.

I haven't really been increasing my activity with my foot, I have been wiggling my toes more cause of the pressure pains on the pads of my feet.

I hope it's not a non union Sad

I will update when I have rang the clinic

Thanks again
|

replied March 21st, 2012
An update on this and another question

I went the fracture clinc and the fracture was all healed. I have been out of the cast since 17/2/12.

Now my query is I am still in a lot of pain with my ankle and on the pad bit under my little toe and toe next to it

The ankle pain is like a needle being stabbed in it and feels like there is like string cupping over my ankle bone, the pain isn't constant but happens when I walk or try to walk

The pain on pads of toes is a numb/pins and needles pain. It's often a sharp pain that happens from touch.

Is this normal?

I have been to my gp and she didn't know what it was and has referred me to physio.

Can anyone shed any light on this pain?

Thanks
|